SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This isn't really a web site review request... I would like to know if you think the following web sites have a chance of succeeding:
    http://www.web-master.tv
    http://www.inquit.net
    The first, Web-Master.TV, was doing quite well but I suppose an increase in competition or lack of demand in web design related content is causing a slump. Does the site have what it takes? Please be brutally honest when telling me what you think of these sites. If they don't have anymore potential, there is no point in pouring money into advertising them.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi webmaster2000

You have been so responsive to the request for reviews that it really does not matter.

So here is my request to the viewers. Do the sites have a chance? and also a review, please.

web-master.tv

The small black test near the top tends to blur with the peach bg.

The red font with the orange bg is fading right into the bg.

I like the bg variation from light on top to dark on the bottom but would recommend trying a slower trasition because the bottom does not show the red very well.

Affiliate Programs Page

Good color, here you are dealing with webbie types and we all know how to make a bg color, so the choice of white if perfect.

Recommend splitting the page into two cols. The lines are a bit long and on my site although I still have some long lines, I am breaking them as quick as I can.

Provide the exact same text and bg for similar types of bg. When I look at the human click review, the font is bold and different, the font size is different for the url. These should be consistent.

On the web design page

Move the gif to the left and form the text around it. Too much white space. This is also one of my shortcomings.

If you have php I would suggest creating a font.php file, if not using css.

I like the lighter colors of your leading page and the white bg of the other pages.

I did not review the content of the site. But the big turnoffs for content is spelling and grammar. Some sites will never post until at least 3 reviews have been done.
    These are not comments about your site, just a general heads up.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The Web-master.tv site needs more content and a makeover. Most of the links on the mainpage are just affliate links to other sites. I never noticed your article links until after being on your page for a while. You need to make them stand out more.

Chance of them suceeding is up to you, if you think you can put the effort in i.e. constant updates, you will. Also I think building a community around the site would be a good idea, like forums.

I like the design of Inquit, but I would have thought having forums would be better?

Hope that helps

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webmaster.TV

I would say that that you should change the link color right away.

Red on Orange is going to give you trouble no matter what. I would use a shade of blue (on most of my sites I try and work in blue links since even then internet novice will immediately recognize them for what they are. It won't, or at least shouldn't, be a problem with your target audience but it's just a good habit). A medium to dark shade of green would work well also.

I'm not sure if this is the gif edschuck was referring to, but your "articles" gif isn't vertically aligned with the actual links. I imagine this could be easily fixed with the table alignment properties.

Just noticed something that you should definitely add - A Navigation Bar. Sites that don't have them are hard to navigate (Read: Frustrating). There are soo many webmaster resources out there that I have no need to stay at one that is the least bit frustrating. You have the Affiliate Programs and Articles, but that doesn't really look like a Nav Bar and it doesn't have enough links. I would get rid of that whole Row and do something like:
    Home :: Articles :: Affiliate Programs :: Contact Us :: Links

The links section is important because then you can start trading recip links with other webmasters.

When listing programs, don't send them to the affiliate immediately. For example:

Click Here to get FREE news headlines for your site! (rating: A+)

When the person Clicks direct them to a page that an expanded review and a recommendation of that particular program. I would also implement a 4 or 5 star ranking program like amazon. This way the surfer will feel like they've read an Unbiased review of the program before they enter the lions den (affiliate webpage). If people have confidence in a program before they get to the actual page they will be more likely to actually sign up.

inquit.net:
    hmm, I honestly would never use a page like this - but I guess there might be a female market for it?

When somebody clicks on "answer" there should be some already submitted answers there as well as just the submission form.

Also, unless you have some massive server side scripts running this page is going to take some major maintenance (which could very well not be worth the trouble). It seems like your only choice for free marketing with this site would be recip links, and maybe trivia keywords in SEs.

Couple things to add right away:
    - A 120px wide column on the right orleft of the main section. This has always proven to be an invaluable tool for generating income in my experience. Since I sure you are not running that page for personal satisfaction (who is anymore?) this is not something you want to omit. Not only that but you can offer some prime link exchange spots there.

- A forum; it is essentially a discussion page so let them discuss stuff that they start. Java Chat might be another option.

- Link exchanges; I have traditionally underestimated the power of recip. links, but I have recently learned the error of my ways. You should put a lot of effort into negotiating link trades with sites that are targetting AOLers, humor pages, and trivia/quotes pages.

I am sure this site could become successful but it would take a lot of work marketing.

-- I didn't read over this so sorry for any grammar/spelling --

Kurbin
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the two very informative and well thought out reviews... I will try making the Inquit.net site more of a discussion site, and then maybe some of you can post your opinions as well

I will also make some modifications to the Web-Master.TV site when I get the chance, although our priority is on discussion forum giant, Inquit.net. We ultimately want it competing with sites like Deja.com.

Thanks a lot.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a system that allows posts to be added roughly one second after they are submitted... Very cool, our visitors love it!!! I encourage everyone to give it a try, but keep the submissions on topic.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5
    Windows 98
    1024x768
    44000 bps connection

Web-master.tv has a chance. But, like someone else said, you need more content. There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (you get my point ) competition in this field, its really tough to develop your niche. Design wise, I like the design. The top part, articles area, bothers me a bit, doesn't look inline.

As for inquit, I really like it and I like the idea and the design. I submitted an entry today even! Keep the good work up on that site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick comment on web-master.tv you could lose the 'CLICK HERE to' text and link with the description I think it might work better.

Get FREE news headlines for your site! (rating: A+)
    Check out a reliable, affordable web host. (rating: A-)
    Chat with your visitors online 24/7, for free. (rating: A+)
    Offer your site's visitors free web email. (rating: most popular)
    See if you can get high-speed Internet. (rating: B+)

BTW I don't have an opinion on inquit.net
    Digit et al Design
    -----------------------
    When you break it all down it's still 1's and 0's

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both sites look ok other than the fonts seem small - maybe I need new glasses. With any site always remember Content is KING. Without fresh content visitors will not return - Marketing a site like these will require alot of effort on your part and I hope you are up to the heavy lifting. Lots of competition.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of them show up. One says "web23 STATUS OK" and the other is a 404 error. Sorry I can't help.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a page saying the web-master.tv site is under construction. That was all - big black letters on white bg.

Got a "Not Found" error when I tried the inquit.net link. Sounds like an interesting site. I will check back later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I get the same as sahar.

peace

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know... Our host went down for a reason, and we now realize that our needs have expanded in order to serve thousands of visitors to the Inquit.net discussion portal. We have purchased a more expensive, and far better, hosting service in order to prepare for the massive levels of traffic that we expect. Check back at Inquit.net in roughly 48-72 hours, we will have a streamlined version of the site back up. Sorry for the inconvenience, this should be our final growing pain, though.

The web-master.tv site has been taken offline effective today, because the advertising costs far outweighed the profits. Webmaster resources sites are nothing new, and I'm not the best at managing one, but inquit.net will be simply awesome -- I look forward to your comments on it once it is on the new server. Thanks for your patience!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Our new web site is online now... Loads superfast with the redundant high-speed connections and new web site design. Better discussion system, more content. It is just plain cool in my opinion. Let me know what you think.

Sorry for the downtime.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the new design looks very good. I like the colors and the tables.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com