SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,

After 3 weeks of hard labor, it's finally finished and ready to be reviewed.

Note: The domain CJ.be is not functional yet. The email adress cj@cj.be is not functional yet, though you CAN contact me through the contact page.

You can find it at http://freesources.net/cj/

Any reviews/comments/critiques are muchos appriciatos

Oh yeah, once you choose your language on the splash page, you will always be redirected to the main page with yoru language. You can switch language by hitting the right icon at the top-left, next to the help icon.

So, http://freesources.net/cj/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note: 3 images do not have an ALT tag. This has been done because of the dHTML effect. I'm looking into that later on.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ,

Very clean and effective. Great work!

Time to get picky

=================================================
    Browser : IE5.5
    Resolution : 1024x768
    Color : 24-bit
    Connection : cable
    =================================================

1. With this phrase :

"Thousands of new sites are opened each day, hundreds of businesses are getting a website, what are you waiting for? Don't miss this opportunity, which the web is, and let me take care of your online success."

You will probably want to rephrase that so that English users don't start picking on your grammar (like I am ). Should probably be something like....

"Thousands of new sites are opened each day; hundreds of businesses are building a website; what are you waiting for? Don't miss this opportunity to make the web work for you, and let me take care of your online business."

Basically, just proofread your site carefully and avoid niggling errors like

'suggestions,... '

(on the same page as the above phrase)

2. The Help page is.... uhmmm, very bland. That yellow is really icky! Personally speaking, I think white's better. If you could incorporate a slightly smaller version of your graphic header in the help box it would enhance it even more.

3. Still in the help section, to make it clearer, you can highlight the questions in bold to make them stand out. It's easier on the eye.

4. Suggestion : add a personal touch on your homepage like a signature, or something.

Apart from that, it looks clean, and loaded so quickly my jaw dropped. Great job!
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by BC
    "Thousands of new sites are opened each day, hundreds of businesses are getting a website, what are you waiting for? Don't miss this opportunity, which the web is, and let me take care of your online success."
    Thanks for pointing this out. It has been fixed...

Btw, another note, the help file is still a bit under construction

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    viewed with:
    800 X 600 resolution
    IE 5.5
    Win 95 OS
    cable modem

I like the format of the home page, it's clean & easy to view.

I'm not sure if your logo is coming in the way it is intended to. The graphic "en/top_right.jpg" is coming out as a "smear" of blue, black and white with a small "CJ" to the far right. I would recommend a logo that more easily displays the name and purppose of the site. :) i.e. (logo) Web Site Design & Development

On your three home page links, profile, portfolio & contact, I think the text that shows on mouse-over is a little wordy. For example, under Profile, instead of "click to view an overview of information about Christopher Johanns" I would simply put the word "Overview" in slightly larger text. Under Portfolio, I would put "Design & Development Work" and under Contact, I would just put "questions and requests".

Otherwise, the pages are clean and load quickly. Hope these tid-bits help.
    Marilyn
    cityhall@neo.rr.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello CJ

Here's what I'm reviewing your site with:

Win98 SE
    640x480 Resolution
    Javascript On
    Network Connection

The first thing that caught my eye was your bright blue logo. I like how you made the CJ wind together. One of the major things that stands out about your website is that you have pictures of..well, everything Since its a web development site, you might want to steer toward some computer/technology photographs. I wasn't sure what the picture on your main page was!

I like your icons under the heading (the spiderweb and atom) those are really cool. Are they general dingbats or did you create them yourself?

I also like how you've done the photographs in your portfolio. Besides mentioning the sites you worked on and their URLs you might want to mention what you did (overall development, graphic design, programming/scripting...) on the main page instead of under seperate pages, that way it can save you a lot of time when you decide to change the entire look of the site (and believe me, you probably will!)

Apart from that I really like it and wish you the best of luck

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CJ

A look at the code provides confiramtion of the accessability item you mention. Otherwise, ........

It is a beautiful site.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey CHRISTOPHE,

i really adore your site. its very clean, and professional. i was astounded when i read your profile page that you are only 16? is that a typographical error?

if not, then you truly impress us all.

one thing i would like to point out on yout PORTFOLIO page.
    for eash site, you have listed, SITE NAME, STATUS, AND URL. and those are great, no problem with them. but i feel maybe you should add a new line stating exactly what your involvement was or is.

and now for the CONTACT page.
    i suggest you use CSS to change the look of your form. both for the text fields and the submit/reset button.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good website. Congratulations on the navigation system and the design. Looks really professional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of splash pages, but they serve a good purpose when the site is for multiple languages.

The images are very fine-tuned and ellaborate, nice job.

The page was quite slow-loading for me, on a 56K connection. Good job, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the suggestions and comments made. I really appreciate them!

Any more are -of ourse- still appreciated!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CJ,

Overall i like the site and the way things are done.
    (The 'Help' is a really great idea!)

Regarding the design i would have to say that i don't like the colors. I think that you should forget about the yellow, as it make the all page look bad, particulary on the splash page (there is not enough contrast with the white...and an ugly contrast with the light blue). The splash page could use a sharper and (may be) bigger logo.( That would be nice if the little 'CJ.be' logo and the purpose of the site could 'pop out' a little more than they actually are)

Also, i don't know if the photos you have been using are really appropriate (trees and gardens!).
    By the way, the download time is good (@56K).
    The site is really well done and the help page really informative(i really think that many of your visitors are going to enjoy this help page).

Hmmm, i almost forgot:
    Something did disturb me a little when visiting your portfolio. Apparentely, You have been developing the header for the site point forum, however it may seem to your visitors that the all community is the fruict of your work!? You may want to check into this, or may be it's done on purpose!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cyberbrain
    Something did disturb me a little when visiting your portfolio. Apparentely, You have been developing the header for the site point forum, however it may seem to your visitors that the all community is the fruict of your work!? You may want to check into this, or may be it's done on purpose!
    I screenshotted the design I created (so not what the adjusted version SPF is using now, and I did include I only did the header part.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry CJ, at first i didn't realize the 'click for more' link under each design presented on your portfolio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's nothing, cyberbrain, thanks for the review though! Any more are still much appreciated!