SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    I'm the webmaster/editor of a small UK gaming site and I'm having really bad problems when it comes to ad representation/sales.

First off, UKAffiliates.co.uk have totally unrelated advertisers and I get incredibly low CTR's and haven't had a single lead yet.

CJ.com isn't THAT bad, but not my first port of call.

I need a CPM advertising network that can either pay in UK Pounds Sterling or via Wire Transfer to my account. Has anybody got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every CPM advertising network on the planet that accepts general sites like yours is currently serving 50%+ default ads, and the rest at CPM rates below $1... many networks like Engage (formerly FlyCast) are even refusing to accept new sites due to the glut of inventory present.

As a recent test, I tried to sign SitePoint.com up for Advertising.com and we got rejected. This for a super-high-quality site that targets a desirable site... Inventory far exceeds demand it seems at all the major advertising networks.

If you intend to profit on the Internet I suggest that you start with "What am I going to do to make money?" rather than "I've built this, now, how am I going to profit from it?".

On the other hand, if this is a hobby, I suggest you sign up for CPA networks such as CyberBounty, BeFree, LinkShare and ClickXChange.com.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that unless you have something really popular and unique, you are gonna have a hard time getting accepted. If advertising.com rejected SitePoint, then that pretty much confirms it. SitePoint has to be getting the traffic.

Is anyone charging a small fee for services on their sites? Is it successful?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaming has to be one of the most saturated internet market there is, and probably one of the least desireable for any advertiser other than game makers.

Taking that into account you got odds stacked against you from the beginning. Plus I have never heard of anyone making enough off an affiliate program to pay for even their hosting. Advertising networks, yes, even in these deluded rates, but never affiliate programs (affiliate programs are basically pay per lead)

Now as for CPM networks. You describe your site as small, but how small do you mean? Burst accepts sites at only 5k per month but I doubt they'd accept a gaming site. Most other networks start accepting well above 100k a month. Advertising.com is at 60k a month, Doubleclick I think is at 2m, engage at 250k, luna at 150k. Again these may have changed but the last I knew those were the numbers.

But don't despair. I currently get .36 cpm using CPC advertising from valueclick. .36 cpm isn't much thats sure but its something, and with deluded CPM rates it even compares to CPM networks.

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, our site currently has around 50,000 pageviews a month and 4,000 unique visitors. I'm not that worried about hosting as we have signed up with a new UK "gISP" (Gaming ISP) and basically they advertise on our site and we get free hosting, so that's not a problem.

I would just like to make a small profit for my time. I know that I'm never going to be a "dot com millionaire" (not with this site anyway ) what with the gaming market saturation and all but with that said, there are a lot of gaming sites that print the same old news every day and are full of the normal "fanboy" rubbish. When they get "big" they forget their original forum members, friends and take on a "we're better than you" attitude. I'm trying to avoid that.

Ah well, probably a pipe dream anyway. Thanks for your suggestions all.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, KMxRetro.

I just take a look at your site, and find the design clean and easy on the eyes. However, there's nothing on your site really that makes it unique. THat's IMO anyway.

4000 unique visitor is like 133 vistors per day. I think you need to promote your site to a point where you have 3000 unique visitors per day in order to make any profit. That's for a content site of course. You need a lot of people to make $$$ for a content site.

I think you may want to put up more content that gamers want.

My suggestions:

Put more screenshots and in-game video to improve on your site stickiness. This helps to increase page views. If your network pays you by CPM, a screenshot gallery helps a lot.

And you seems to know PHP. I strongly believe opening your own user review section will also increase site stickiness. Let people voice their opinions on their favorite games.

Throw away that Amazon thing. Most people compare prices before making a purchase. Replace the Amazon link with a compare price link. The Compare Price function should pay you pay-per-search. I know DealTime UK pays their affiliates 0.15 pound per search (1 to 5000 searches) and 0.25 pound per search (5001 to 14000 searches)

Also, put up different links for visitors from different regions. I'm from Canada. And I am not going to buy from Amazon UK.

Well, that's it for now.

<Edited by usbworkshop on 01-20-2001 at 10:01 AM>
    Ian Chiu
    Editor in Chief
    http://www.usbworkshop.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thanks man!

Loads of good advice in there. Much appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also mentioned CJ.com. U should also consider signing up for PriceGrabber (PG) which pays their affiliates 3c per click (USD). PG is for your US visitors, if u have any.
    Ian Chiu
    Editor in Chief
    http://www.usbworkshop.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im also looking for a advertiser for my gaming sites today i made $1.80 off CPC and the company im using has only been rotating 1-2 banners on my sites for the last week, maybe if they had more banners i would get a higher click rate than 0.08%, just think if i had a CPM one at just $1 CPM i would have made $20 today

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1 CPM yes, but remember the CPM network takes commision, so that 1 CPM turns into .5 CPM when you get it.

But hey, .08% clickthrough rate is horrid, thats not even 1 per 1000.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but i have had that same banner rotating for like 1 week never changing, i would have a higher click rate if there were say 5-10 banners been rotated

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys should give our search boxes tailored to gaming sites a try. http://www.searchtraffic.com
    Quite simply, its a searchbox with a "gaming" type look to it with 4-5 textlinks below the box saying such things as "gameboy, playstation" etc. Each click to those links pays .05
    With things as bad as they are for cpc & cpm, It may be worth a try.
    http://www.standardinternet.com