SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some database questions and I would appreciate it if some one answered some of them:

1)What are the advantages of Oracle over mySQL?
    2)Where does MS SQL Server stand when compared to Oracle and mySQL?
    3)Is MS SQL Server as hard to learn as Oracle?
    4)Does MS SQL Server have a good "front-end" like Access?
    5)Is there a free version of Oracle?

As I said before I would really appreciate it if some one were to answer (some of) these questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can answer one of the questions, just from other peoples' posts in this forum.

1) Oracle can handle much more data then MySQL can. Oracle is probably meant for huge corporations.

I haven't tried or heard much about MS SQL. All I know is that MySQL works great for medium size sites and is easy to use and learn.

I could be wrong, but I would say that your best choice is MySQL. It is free and chances are, you don't need a database that can handle more data then MySQL can.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about Oracle so can't answer your question, but the news @mysql.com could be something of related:

NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL
    http://www.mysql.com/news/article-51.html
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS SQL and Oracle are basically competing for the same markets, which are the enterprise level database markets.

Learning to do the same things in a DB should be no different across platforms. If you want you can have a query Select * From Table and it'll work on all of the databases. The difficulty comes when trying to learn the more advanced features some have over others.

If one person knows alot about DBs its Wayne. If you do a forum search looking for posts by W. Luke where he mentions the different DBs you'll find a few where he goes into depth about the features and drawbacks of them.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to sound rude or anything but you most likely couldn't afford Oracle or the hardware to run it on. If you look at Waynes previous post on this: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=12694 you will see that you need some serious kit to run it on.

The chances are that MySQL will be adequete for what you need or you could always look at PostgreSQL ( http://www.postgres.com ).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    I don't want to sound rude or anything but you most likely couldn't afford Oracle or the hardware to run it on.
    Now I dont know too much about Oracle but the other day I saw at a computer shop Oracle 8i for Linux PLUS the book "Special Edition: Using Oracle 8/8i" for $116AU (that would be about $70US). Now thats not really expensive.

Also on the side of the box it said the minimum requirements for running the program were a Pentium II Computer with 128 MB of RAM and 800MB of space.
    Excepting for the RAM my computer meets the minimum requirements

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karl can probably add to this but in order to deploy a successful application using Oracle, Oracle 8i would just be a very small piece of the whole pie you would need to have.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything that's been said in that thread so far. Oracle is overkill for anything except monstuous databases. MS SQL Server is a little less powerful and expensive, but is still probably more than you need.

MySQL is designed for common Web applications and should suit your needs for quite some time. All the skills you learn while working with MySQL can be applied to those larger databases.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question seeing as this is being discussed anyway...on an aversage spec server (lets say {PIII 650MhZ, 128mb ram, 18gb SCSI HDD) approximately how many requests could mysql handle each minute?
    I had a prospective client who was asking what the definitive limits are for mysql, now there can be no definitive limits but are there even rough limits?
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my two bits..

The cheap version of Oracle 8i that you saw was probably the PERSONAL version, otherwise known as Oracle Lite.

It is basically a scaled down version of Oracle that is designed to work/run on a personal computer. The full scale enterprise Oracle is several thousand and requires a server to run.

I believe you can download the Personal version from the Oracle website for a free trial. It's a good database, but the only reason you'd want to use it over.. say mySQL.. is to take advantage of stored procedures.
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, yes, I've been doing research into Oracle for a future project.. an enterprise license costs about $15,000+ for 2 year licenses...

MS SQL doesnt necessarily have a "frontend" as per say .. neither does mySQL .. ( i cant comment on oracle )

MS SQL, like mySQL is a database server, both can have "web based" script type front ends, or "software" type frontends (requires special permissions on the server, generally only used if you are local on the computer) .. generally people use web based solutions to access their databases ...

a few reasons (with my personal bias) to use mySQL over MS SQL.

1. mySQL is GPL, (aka, its free) http://www.opensource.org for details on GPL licensing
    2. mySQL runs on multiple operating systems whereas MS SQL runs on M$ made operating systems (mySQL will run on those MS made operating systems also)
    3. MS SQL is a product which comes with MS attached in front of it, and MS, as we all know, reminds you of a famous bug given to the IT field, a famous flaw, a famous mistake, one which should NEVER have taken place.. that famous mistake is known as the creation of winblows

just my few biased cents.

Have a nice day!
    cogito, ergo sum

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download Oracle 8i for Windows and Linux at http://www.oracle.com for development use only (ie not for deployment). Warning - it wants a PC with 256Mb RAM (min 128MB). I just installed it on Redhat Linux 7.0. Second warning, oracle enterprise edition 8.1.6 does not install "out of the box" when compiling from source code on Redhat 6.1 or 7.0! It installs on Redhat 6.2 no problems. To get it to install on 7.0 you need to do some workarounds (glibc problems). I don't know if these problems with RedHat 7 have been fixed with the 8.1.7 (current) release. I understand you can also buy the install CDs from the Oracle site for $15 (they ship 5 CDs!). I just want to do some development work with Oracle for personal reasons - so I can say I have some experience. Oracle DBA = big$$$ p.a. Of course fiddling with Oracle at home isn't going to make me a crack Oracle DBA overnigt - I'm not kidding myself.

For opensource - don't forget Postgresql as well. http://www.postgresql.org At this stage it has better transaction support and concurrency support - locking at the row level. But, hey, I don't want to start a religious war. MySql and Postresql are both out there and have their advantages and are both going to grow and improve under open source. I know that Nusphere have developed some sort of row level locking for MySql and you can dl their Apache/PHP4/MySql integrated bundle at their web site http://www.nusphere.com I haven't got any experience with the nusphere package - though I did dl it, haven't got round to installing

Oh and then there is InterBase which is opensource too. http://www.borland.com/interbase. Does anyone have any opinions or experience of this product? I'd be keen to know what you think its future may be.
    <Edited by freakysid on 01-23-2001 at 05:32 AM>