SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Database

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to start a web host index with a twist. The question that I have for you guys is can you show me somewhere to go that has software that I would need for this. Like the one at hostsearch.com. If you dont know where any are can you discuss what you think it would cost to create such a system. Also what type of software do you need for users to post reviews about hosts that are in the database. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...
    To be honest, I don't think that you'll find any high quality software that does the hostsearch.com thing. Not unless you get it from them of course (I doubt they'll be willing)

That said, if you know PHP/MySQL yourself, it shouldn't be that hard to create. If you pull bits of other scripts together or read through tutorials around the net (especially the excellent sitepoint ones), you could probably have it running within a week.

Bit of beta testing and then it's off to the races!

Make a few flowcharts of projected visitor paths through your site and start from there, I find that it helps a great deal.

Some folks may start by searching, plot their path, others may start by looking at top rated hosts, plot their path, some may just come to review their current web host, plot their path and then maybe define some more paths to plot. If you have to, go to hostsearch.com and check out the different starting points they have and work from there.

I do that with pretty much every script I write and to be honest, I'm haven't got the best programming brain around, but I've managed to get a dynamic content system up at my site as well as a poll and some newsletter management software, all more or less written from scratch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything he said. If you have a good plan you could get it programmed cheaply, maybe even for a profit share arrangment if you prefer.
    It is all about planning...

I might be interested in doing the programming for you, contact me via email (webmaster@mad-onion.com) if you would like to discuss that possibility further.

GoodLuck
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!