SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lyrical interpretations review

Okay, this site has been up for a few months and I didn't like the design from the start, so here's the new design. Any comments would be appreciated.

http://mirror.lyrical-interpretations.com/

If you want to see the original it's at http://www.lyrical-interpretations.com/

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually prefer the look of the old site (but it would look better with a page BG and link colors set ). The new site's just not pleasant to look at (not at all 'lyrical'), I'm sorry to say. It looks cramped and the header and title graphics aren't clear. The black/white thing is also a bit stark for my taste and I prefer fluid to fixed width sites. The serif font doesn't work for me either. I find it odd (and confusing) that you have off-site links in your main navigation. BTW, you still need to set link colors on the new site and the electraByte site needs a page BG too.
    Last edited by earther; Feb 7, 2004 at 16:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first site, I would remove the Amazon ads on the right and place those at the bottom. Then, I would center the entire site - or make it fluid width as earther suggested. Also, I would do a new header - it is too stark and washed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aargh, pop-ups!!!

Are you still playing with this, as it is now fluid-width and both old and new sites look the same?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I couldn't see any difference between the two sites, except the ads. I think the colour scheme is the first thing you need to look at. There is way too much constrast between the colours.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, looks pretty poor to me. It's the absence of colours and the small size of the header that makes this impression mainly.

But, navigation and loading is good, the information is well structured and easy to read and understand.
    CPanel based Scalable Reselling
    Free support for our resellers customers at Royal Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks much better than before! You need to spice up the header though. White space is good, but i think you have too much of it. Things look like they are floating around a bit too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, thanks for the reviews.

I ended up reverting to the original design a few days ago. My wife hated the new one as much as she hates the current one (or more), so I'll just get her to redesign it or buy a TM template and redo it at some point in the future... For now, it's the content that matters most to me, so I''m not going to worry about it too much...
    Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OT - btw, love the Tool interpretations. Now, that's tough to do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No joke. Tool's got some of the deepest songs of any other band out there... Maynard's a genius.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nice

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on a Mac and my browser (Explorer 5 for Mac) shows the menus scrolling down the left side in huge vertical long boxes. Maybe it's better on other machines.

That being said, navigation was virtually impossible and I wasn't really able to dig too deep into the site.

I'd lose the ads if possible or move them down to the bottom.

I like the concept though--very original. A lot of us find it fun to discover new meanings in songs that we enjoy. There's often much more to lyrics once we really explore the concepts presented in them. That's what is so great about music--the moods, expressions, the emotions they present is truly limitless and often most satsifying.