SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastclick Interstitial Experiences

I haven't implemented Fastclick Interstitials yet.
    They seem to be less annoying than the invues.
    What kind of money are people seeing in comparision to regular popunders from fastclick factoring in defaults. I mean just raw money generated per uniques exposed to them.

I noticed that when an interstitial is shown the person can either wait it out or hit the skip link. Once they arrive at the page after the interstitial the only way back to their original page is to hit the back button twice. Can the average general interest web surfer be counted on to figure this out? Or should a brief note be listed on the page linking to interstitial enabled links stating that to return to that page they came from they need to hit the back button twice?

It seems a possible issue to me. A visitor clicks a link on an interstitial enabled link and views the interstitial and arrives at their intended page. If they press the back button on their browser they are back at the interstitial ad itself. If they press skip they go forward to the link they just came from. Will the average surfer give up once they hit their back button and arrive at the interstitial ad itself or will they be bright enough to figure they need to hit their browers back button again?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I was considering putting some text on interstitial enabled pages stating

"A single brief 10 second ad will be shown after clicking your first outside weblink. If you wish to return to this page and select another link after this one, press your browser's back button twice or until you return to this page."

Are most people just running them with no such phrases and hoping their vistors know what to do? Such an informative bit of text takes up valuable screen real estate so I am curious as to if it is really necessary.
    If Tribalfusion had a separate interstitial code they would be a good interstitial option too. But it seems Fastclick has inventory and the separate code which makes them easier to implement.
    I like how Tribalfusion's interstitials don't linger around, and once they are viewed the back button on the browser does not return the visitor to the page with the ad again.
    OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why all my pages have the same navigation so if they want to go back to the homepage, they just click "HOME".

And, I'm getting GREAT rates on interstitials, with impressive click-thrus that keeps my average up.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People still tend to use the back button a lot online.
    People also aren't as bright online as we may think.
    When dealing with links to external sites this is even more of a problem.

Bcantor what kind of money are you earning in comparison to popunders?
    OnlineSoldier.com

The webmaster's guide to the war which is the web. Analyze monetization, visitor retention, and promotion.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stay the hell away from interstials until they are more common, unless you have a pretty computer-literate audience.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use intersitials, haven't lost any traffic and their CPM is about double what popups offer.
    \

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CPM may be more but is the load percentage comparable or more such that you are in the end earning more with interstitials than popunders?
    OnlineSoldier.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes and pretty sure if someone hits the back button, they won't see the ad twice.
    \

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try seeing an ad going to your intended destination link and then hitting the back button and see if you don't then see the ad again. I do.
    OnlineSoldier.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the intersertionals too and from what I can tell you it only resulted in about a 10% page view drop and a nice income increase...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them on my .htaccess hotlinker file, they bring in quite a bit, alot of people hotlink me, and there visitors keep clicking the links in the html file i replaced the hotlinked files with.
    Sean Spurr @ Incka Limited
    Fun Games - put games on your site GamesForYourWebsite.com!
    Sites:ABCDEFGHIJ

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interstitials were NOT worth it for me. I tried them for a few weeks and they were very profitable early on, but then they capped out. I believe there's a once-a-week cap on each campaign or something. I can send a pop to each user what, every 12 hours? Whereas I can only send an interstitial to each user once every week once my campaigns run out (which goes extremely fast).

It might be worth it for one-hit pages, but if you have a repeat userbase, I don't think it would be worth it. Stick with pops in that case.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its only a 15 minute cap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 minute cap per interstitial with a 7 day cap per campaign.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah-ha, found it:

The creative are standard sized GIF/JPEG and Rich Media Ads. Campaign frequency caps are usually 1-7 days, and user frequency caps can be 15 minutes or more.
    So it's at least a day between them, but I've historically seen it to be more than that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I have with FC interstitials is that the advertisers are among the sleaziest I have seen. The ad are mostly "contest" ads, and they make it seem like your site is giving the prize away -- for example, the Claria ad says "you are the 1 millionth visitor to the site, click for your prize".

I get too many e-mails from people who click on those contest banners, I don't need even more from this format (which is far more confusing to the visitor).

Plus, I'd like to have an option so that it won't take you to the advertiser unless a certain number of pages have been viewed -- perhaps configurable by me. I don't want to spirit someone away from my site on their first pageview, but I might want to do it after their 10th.

Ralph

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph being able to show interstitials after X number of page views would be a great idea. Would really increase publisher flexibility with the format.
    If a network offered it I might use invues or interstitials for those that viewed a lot of pages on my site. At that point I figure they have enjoyed the site, probably will return, and a minor obtrusive ad will not ruin things for the publisher or the visitor.

No one seems to be commenting on the fact that after you view a fastclick interstitial ad and go to your destination page the ad is still there if you hit the back button in a confusing manner.
    Does no one have concerns about this besides me?
    OnlineSoldier.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could hammer out a way with cookies. Wouldn't be that hard of a deal if you know a little bit about 'em. FastClick also has a code that you can insert that changes all of your links for you if you so desire. If the user has seen the page x times, add that code into the page, etc.

You're right though- it would be nice to have this feature built-in.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be nice to have a default capability on fastclick interstitials and fastclick invues.
    That way publishers can create their own ads of this sort via simple gifs and use them should fastclick have no selling inventory for this ad size. It also would be wise for Fastclick to not have the invue ads slide directly over the fastclick banners on a given page if the page is setup such that this will happen. Accidental clickthrus on the banners because of the invues is going to happen.
    OnlineSoldier.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make about 90% of what I do with popunders, but the CPM is about 30% higher.

Because of the cap, and the fact that not every user will stay on your site to experience the interstitial, you don't make as much, but it's still damn good money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ign used to have that you only got their intersitials after x amount of pages but killed that after awhile and now they're everywhere you go.
    \

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I put it into my Virtual Host container? I can't use . files on my OS X server. Since I get traffic from links will this show the ad before people view the page if using the hotlinker in .htaccess/virtual host container?
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by incka
    I use them on my .htaccess hotlinker file, they bring in quite a bit, alot of people hotlink me, and there visitors keep clicking the links in the html file i replaced the hotlinked files with.
    What a great idea! How do you do that? Is there a thread anywhere on SPF that explains how to do that?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    What a great idea! How do you do that? Is there a thread anywhere on SPF that explains how to do that?
    count me in as well , I will like to know
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested in hearing that out as well too

SitePoint Evangelist davesplace1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rethumor
    I use the intersertionals too and from what I can tell you it only resulted in about a 10% page view drop and a nice income increase...
    No doubt, the extra money is good, but the 10% drop in traffic would make me worry about my long term income.