SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drag n Drop Sound vs Actions Script Sound

I've been putting together a flash demo the last few days, and until recently, I have always dragged the sound onto the stage and then modified it through the GUI (fade in/fade out etc.).

Before starting this project, I thought I'd do a little research into the new action scripting sound object from Flash 5 onwards, seeing as it seems to be 'the way to do it'.

Long story short, the action script sound object method seems like a huge pain in the a$$. It's slower to implement than just dragging and dropping it on the stage. Fading in/out is a hassle, and I really can't see the use of this technique.

Please convince me why I should keep working at learning this new technique, rather then just going back to the old way... Or, if you think the old way is still useful, let me know your opinion.

I'm usually all about keeping current with web dev trends, but I'm getting a little disheartened .

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scout,

From my experience with sound in Flash, I find that using Actionscript gives me a lot more control over when my sound effects take place. I've found that simply dragging and dropping a sound clip on to the stage means that I can't guarantee that a particular sound will fade out when it should do for example. Using code also allows me to create more complex interactive sound effects depending on my visitors actions.

Check out this article on Flashkit regarding the Sound object - it gives you a complete overview of the sound object in Actionscript.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually the article I'm using to learn the actionscript technique . Very well written.

Another related question: Are sound objects streamed or event sounds? I can't seem to find any mention of it. Is this something that can be set for soundobjects?

Thanks!