SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build a Snow Boarding Game with Flash

This forum thread discusses the SitePoint article 'Build a Snow Boarding Game with Flash' by Matthew David.

..Good article but it doesn't take into account the coding conventions of flashMX. For instance it is suggested that you do not put you code directly into your MCs and Buttons but that all code be contained on layers within the MAIN timeline and target movie clips using dot syntax.

mymovieclip.onEnterFrame = function() {
    // code
    }

..and for a game like this you could use a more OOP approach to your actionscript.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Good read, but I don't see the danger in placing code on Buttons and MovieClips as opposed to placing them on Frames.

I think if you know the values of both Object EventHandlers and Frame EventHandlers, you'll be all the more wiser to use them where it best befits the nature of your project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kalamazoo, MI
    wow! That's where I was born

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Good read, but I don't see the danger in placing code on Buttons and MovieClips as opposed to placing them on Frames.

I think if you know the values of both Object EventHandlers and Frame EventHandlers, you'll be all the more wiser to use them where it best befits the nature of your project.
    Except for when your movie gets bigger and bigger, it can be a bear to find that small piece of as that needs tweaking among all the symbols on the screen.

For me at least, I too prefer to leave most all my actionscript in frames and not attached directly to the object. Except for maybe a stray onClipEvent(data) handler on mc I will load jpgs or swfs into due to the annoying problems MX has with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...hehe if I understand your post golgotha that wierd, because I was born in La Junta Colorado.

The reason you should put your code on the main time is simple, centralization. You know where everything is. Maybe if you were just making a simple spash screen for your web site using the older codeing techniques would be fine and would be more compatable with older versions of the flash player, but If you were making somthing more complicated, like a game, you would find yourself searching though mc after mc looking for the right code while if its all on the main timeline (you can use seperate layers to keep it organized) it's much easier to find and edit. It's whats recommended by Macromedia and is almost necessary if you use a OOP approach.
    "Do you want it with, or without the moustache? .....Too bad."
    J. Driscoll

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    I really like the tutorial, but the .fla file doesnt work with flash 5 and lower.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably was made in MX, so no it won't work in 5.

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Who is the author of this thing? Cause I think it's JohannesP. (http://www.2-serious.de). He posted this in 2001 on flashkit.com.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was created by Matthew David; and as afore mentioned placing your code within a frame on the timeline or centralising it in an external .as file for compilation at export time is OOP best practise