SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for about a month now, and I've finally decided to get myself an account and start posting (spooky huh?). Basically I've just released my first ever 'public' PHP script and I'm looking for feedback / criticisms / people to use the thing

The script is called ssLinks, and comprises a links management system that allows you to quickly build a categorised link archive (yahoo stylee) customised to fit the look of your site.

It's free for non-commercial sites (and free for commercial ones as well if it looks like they won't be making huge amounts of money from it) via my own hastily written and very dodgy guidelines - full information + demo + the script itself are here: http://www.tfc-central.co.uk/sslinks/

Comments welcome

Cheers,

Skunk

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good script. How easy is it to implement into site that already have a design layed out?

One suggestion would be to have a number after each category stating how many links there are in it.

rgds,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea

The page layout is defined by two files - header.txt and footer.txt (although you can redefine the location and name of these in the config file if you have template files elsewhere on the system). At the moment you can't include PHP in the template files though - I've got a work around for this which I'll happily provide to anyone who wants to know it.

Implementing it into a site design (provided no PHP isn't a problem) is very easy - just paste the header and fotter html into the files and away you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to recommend (assuming you don't have it already), an admin center that allows you to edit the header/footer.txt files from the web through a simple form - shouldn't be too tricky.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this belongs in The Resource Kit
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've put it there now - only noticed that forum after I posted here.

An admin center for the templates is a good idea - I've got a dirty PERL hack for doing that but it's not part of the Links script. In fact the links thing is a small part of a much larger system I've been developing which does news / articles / comments etc - haven't decided if I'm going to make the whole thing public yet though. A template editor in the larger application would be great...

Thanks for the feedback