SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I had a conversation with an individual who said that perhaps I need to cut back on some aspects of a site I have built as it may be too general. But at the same time I want it to be far reaching - useds by lots of people. Curious as to your thoughts on how much detail a site should go into ? The site in question is the groceryinsider.com site - trying to market it, but certainly having a difficult time doing so....
    Shawn Ryder
    Auto University Vice President
    http://www.autouniversity.com
    E-mail: shawn.ryder@autouniversity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you can have "too much" information. What is too much, anyway? There is a lot of room for opinion there. You can never have too much information, just make sure your site is unique and focused on a certain topic or niche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO as long as the site is organized well you're OK.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, the more targeted your Web site, the more popular it will become. You will have repeat visitors and those visitors will be more likely to refer your site to other people who they feel your site also targets.

Example:
    My site (http://80s.tvheaven.com/) focuses only on children of the 80s: their television, fashion, toys, video games, and links that all pertain to an 80s childhood. Obviously, this is a very focused target audience.

It used to include information about me, links to sites that are good that have nothing to do with the 80s, and more information that I thought would bring a more general audience to the site. The general audience didn't come.

As soon as I targeted the site, my traffic increased significantly. I have repeat visitors, people refer my site to their friends, and most importantly, people who grew up in the 80s and now have their own sites feature links to my site.

Believe me, targeting will help your traffic more than appealing to the general public. It's the way that advertising had changed over the years and now it's the future of the Web.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to organize your site more like VerticalNet.Com the famous b2b site. But instead of industries, buy domains for subindustries or use subindustries names as subdomains. e.g. fishmarket.groceryinsider.com or something like that.

Once you've divided your themes, use a content organizing template. This template divides content between news, current info and archive info. It should also divide hype/commerce building content from strictly research content.

Finally, you may want to use auto responders [tied to list collectors] to serve out research content. Great way to build credibility as well as your newsletter email list. Also a good way to segment the list. The more targeted your email database, the higher the chance you can market succesfully to it.

Just my two cents on effective content management and archiving.
    Oski
    Let's Swap Traffic! I put your url in my 5200 user email list, you put my popup on your site!
    http://freecollegestuff.cjb.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me... you might want to change that flash menu to regular images and links... I don't see the point of flash there...
    --
    Coolrandomfree- Download stupid movies and do stupid stuff!
    Coolrandomfree Message Boards

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is never too much info, as long as it's accessible and not overcrowding your main page. Go Skins!
    --
    Coolrandomfree- Download stupid movies and do stupid stuff!
    Coolrandomfree Message Boards

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the site, personally. I would double check your spelling in a couple of places. I liked the page with the fruit/vegetable stand, and thought that would work well on the home page... It's a little bland.
    Veesha
    Be your own ISP
    "Your One Source Web Solutions Provider"
    http://www.eDirectAmerica.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, you know I like the site, I am wondering if you need to add something fun to it, like a food cartoon of the week?

A shopping checklist, which I think it on the site?

How about working with people to have coupons on the site for people to use. I think if you also have some frugal tips for people and actually I will send over a bunch of good cooking tips I have for you .

You work is really good keep it up

merle
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!