SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got questions and I hope you guys could answer them.
    I've just joined commission junction and found everything very good.

1)What is properly qualified as a pay-per-lead?
    2)How long do they take to update the revenue earned from the action taken place(lead/signup/clickthru)?
    3)Are they reliable?
    4)Which kind of ads on their site are 'hotter'?
    5)How long do they take to send a check?

Thanks!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Commision Junction for some time so will take a shot at answering your questions.

1. What is properly qualified as a pay-per-lead?
    The definition of pay-per-lead varies from program to program. My definition is that the user clicks the link, enters the target site and does something. For example signing up for a newsletter, downloading a file, requesting a brochure etc.

2.How long do they take to update the revenue earned...
    I've found it usually updates the next day.

3.Are they reliable?
    I've had no problems so far. Click throughs are tracked properly etc. I think sometimes their impression tracking is a bit off though, so I use AdCycle to run the cj.com ads and track click-thrus / impressions myself.

4.Which kind of ads on their site are 'hotter'?
    That depends on your site. I've had most success with 468x60 banner ads and text links. Text links incorporated into the body text of an article of paragraph seem to do well.

5.How long to they take to send a check?
    Got me there, I've not earned $25 yet . Anyone else know?

Edit:

Why does my English go to the dogs when I try and touch type?

Ady
    <Edited by Fluffykins on 01-19-2001 at 04:02 AM>
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluffykins answered a lot of your questions, but I thought I'd add that I've heard several people who've had problems with CJ not updating or reflecting revenue they've earned in their account. Take this for what it's worth. And for which type of ads are "hotter", it really depends for each site... many people say text ads are effective, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caesar,

I prefer CJ myself...I have received one $50.00+ check from them {side note: unfortunately the affiliate program that was primarily responsible for the $50.00 discontinued their program } and soon I'll be receiving another check from them. I like that they combine all your earnings into one check...so if you "try out" a program and it only makes you .01...you will eventually {granting of course you eventually meet the minimum payout} receive that .01 from that program. This is in stark contrast to Linkshare and Befree...both of which I have joined up for programs; only to reach commisions of anywhere from .01 to withing pennies of reaching minimum payout with a particular merchant and then BLAM!...merchant <insert BUTTHEAD merchant name here> decides to discontinue their program...thanks for the traffic though

The moral is...try different programs and see what works best for you...but personally I ALWAYS look to Commision Junction first for merchants BEFORE I sign up with a merchant on LinkShare or BeFree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I like about CJ is that there are oodles of merchants and only one pay-cheque. It can be annoying if you're using several merchant programs and only receive a few pounds / dollars from each one.

With CJ all the revenue earned from the myriad of merchants you use is combined in one payout. That has another advantage too.

If you only wanted one pay-cheque, you'd have to use one affiliate. Having the same banners / ads on every page of your site can be a pain for visitors who'll get bored of them. IMO, having a wide range of banners / ads is good because you can show visitors different ads as people browse your site and potentially see one or more they're interested in. With one there's less chance of this (if they don't click it on one page, they're not likely to on the second or third), and with a range of different ads generating revenue and arriving in one pay-cheque you can't go wrong.

Here endeth my rant

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I would like to bring up another issue. Am I allowed to use any rotation script to rotate various CJ 468*60 ads that I choose?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm...

I truly hope so because I use a rotation script called AdCycle to rotate mine! It might be worth reading the TOS, but I chose this method so I can run CJ.com ads alongside ads for other sites and hopefully paid ads later on. You also get far better tracking options this way. I've been doing this for several weeks and haven't had any problems with it.

Adding them into the tracking system is just a case of dissecting the HTML code they give you and pasting the URL / Image location into the right place.

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, what script are you using currently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called AdCycle. You can download a freeware version from http://www.adcycle.com. It runs on a mySQL database and uses either SSI or standard HTML to deliver the ads.

Ady

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed about CJ is that after creating your smartzone and adding the HTML (well really js code) to your page(s), the banners sometimes don't load.

It's like CJ needs time to update the smartzone settings to start showing the banners you chose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caesar,

There is an alternative if you don't have the programming knowlege to install or capability to run a system like Adcycle. I use a simple javascript that I set up as an externally maintained file. I call the external script with the <script SRC="###.js"></script> command. I am intending to "upgrade" to adcycle or another ad rotation script eventually but in the meantime the javascript works...I also found I can manipulate the script to diplay multiple ads simutaneously...mixing both graphic and text ads. For an example check out my site http://www.premium-pics.com...each banner I run has the corresponding ad network diplayed beneath...{with my affiliate code of course }

Totenmaske