SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What causes the differences between IE 5.5 & IE 6?

I have just completely redeveloped by web site using the XHTML 1.0 Specification and CSS2. The site looks great in IE 6, Firebird 0.7 and Opera 7.

In IE 5.5 the proportions of the layout are incorrect and as a result it looks a bit like a dog's breakfast. The content is fine, everything is readable and all the navigation works, it just looks wrong.

As a web developer this isn't really acceptable.

I have tried everything. I've used standards, I've used the box model hack but nothing seems to work.

Can anybody tell me why there is such a big difference between IE5.5 and IE6, and what I can do to get rid of these differences?

The offending pages can be found at http://www.cadmium.com.au/2004/

I'd really like to find a solution (other than asking IE5.5 users to upgrade) soon so that I can get the site up and running.
    Alex Graham
    Cadmium Design & Development
    www.cadmium.com.au
    alexandra@cadmium.com.au

SitePoint Evangelist ClevaTreva's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra
    Can anybody tell me why there is such a big difference between IE5.5 and IE6, and what I can do to get rid of these differences?
    IE 5.5 is a dog's dinner, that's why. If they have it on the Mac, there is no hope.

Under Windows, of course they can upgrade.

A friend with a BIG site recently told me that 5.5 hits had recently fallen off the scale, so he no longer bothered. He used to re-direct users accordijng to their browser. Now he is all XHTML and CSS2 and all is well (except for IE 5.5 and older versions of the other browsers).

Perosnally, I would live with it and not worry.

Trevor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I would say the same, but can I afford to risk losing 13% of my visitors who may be potential clients? I'm not sure. Below are the browser usage stats for my site over the last year:

IE6 - 68%
    IE5 - 13%
    Netscape 5 (Mozilla) - 12%
    Opera - 3%
    Safari, IE4, NS4 & Konqueror - 1%
    Unknown - 3%

I am considering putting up a warning screen for users of IE5 and older browsers recommending they upgrade because their browser breaks properly contrcuted sites, but giving them option to proceed anyway (since the content is still fine).

How does everyone else deal with this sort of thing? At what what point to a user group become insignificant?

I'm really interested in other peoples thoughts on this.
    Alex Graham
    Cadmium Design & Development
    www.cadmium.com.au
    alexandra@cadmium.com.au

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 13% I would still consider IE5 significant enough to find at least some workarounds for. The differences when you're coding in standards mode come from IE5's broken box model. For example, if you style a <div> with a width and padding, IE5 includes the padding measure in the overall width, but IE6 and other browsers will add the padding to your width measure like it's supposed to. There are quite a few workarounds for this problem; do some searching on the forum and you'll find plenty of answers.