SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prepaid postage - how does it work?

I'm going to print about 1,000 newsletters, and I was wondering how to go about setting up prepaid postage.

Do I do this at a US post office, or is it handled by a third party?

Thanks!
    Paul Larson
    Creative Arc, Inc. - Minneapolis Web Design
    http://www.creativearc.com
    ArcLog: Resource for running a web business prime beef

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I do believe that you have to purchase the postage for the people you are sending the newsletters to not too sure. You will need to contact your nearest Post office.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul,

Check out the USPS website at http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm200/discount.htm for information on all the ways you can save when doing a mailing.

Keep in mind though, that sending presorted bulk mail will come across more as junk mail, unless this newsletter is going to customers of yours. If you're sending this out to people you don't know, it might be better to use stamps that you can apply yourself.

Steve

P.S. Either way - let us know how you make out and what you decide to do!
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Thanks for the tip! I to agree that a self applied stamp carries a bit more of a personal touch than a ugly barcode.

I think the issue might be the actual price. Does a one-pager folded in half really cost $0.37, or is it technically less? Pennies can add up multiplied by 1000!

Thanks!
    Paul Larson
    Creative Arc, Inc. - Minneapolis Web Design
    http://www.creativearc.com
    ArcLog: Resource for running a web business prime beef

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to help Paul.

You're right that pennies can add up when you're talking about thousands of flyers, and I think the main question is how much the item weighs. If I read the information on the page I sent you to correctly, anything 13 ounces or less would pay the standard rate - but if you go to the extra trouble of presorting and classifying by carrier route etc...you can save some money there.

The question then, is how much do you really save by doing some of the work yourself or paying for first class postage and having the post office do the work.

I'm planning a postcard mailing soon to try to get some new customers, as it's cheaper to mail and my offer won't be hiding in an envelope that has to be opened first. I don't have much faith in the standard type of offers most people mail out, but I think by offering a valuable freebie in my mailing for those that visit my site or maybe having a contest to give away a free website will work better than a "This is who we are and what we do...call us if you need us..." type piece.

Good luck!

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!