SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the layout, but since you posted here I would guess you want some criticism. Here goes:

- The tabs are indeed spaced unevenly in IE5 @ 1024x768. The spaces between Articles & Reviews, and Tutorials & Newsletter are wider than the rest.

- I would rearrange your navigation bar. Alphabetical organization rarely returns optimum results (See Yahoo). Put the most useful entries on top. I imagine that 99.9% of your traffic has no interest in advertising, yet it is one of the first things the surfer sees. Also, Tutorials which will probably have the most interest, is on the very bottom.

The real content should be prioritised.

- Consider making the vertical bars the same color blue as the top of your navigation.

- I would move your logo over so it is aligned with the rest of the content.

Good luck with the site. I think it looks good even though it's not overly original. As long as you continue adding content and market wisely you should have a winner on your hands.

Kurbin
    Don Lair
    GetItCheap.com - Earn cash back online.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design and layout are very good; I can find only one major problem. There is a lot of whitespace between the logo and the banenr ad (1152x864 resolution). Instead of centering the body/banner ad, which makes the page look odd in high resolution, you should hardcode the nav bar to appear underneath the logo (and shift everything to the left to match). You may need to reduce the width of the logo to accomplish this, but I think it would be worth it. Most sites simply leave blank space to the right, on high resolution monitors, and that seems to be the standard appearance.

Let me reiterate, though, that the logo, design, and layout look great!

Lenny

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. The layout is clan, crisp, and organized. The design doesn't get in the way of the content. The link rollovers aren't overdone either.
    Mike Pulsifer
    Editor in Chief
    FreeWeb Magazine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your site is almost there. i quit like it a lot. there are a couple of things i would change. (disclaimer: i don't mean any harm, and i don't offend anyone) and these are them:

1) i don't want to have to click three times to sign up for a newsletter. normally i wouldn't go throught so much trouble to get there. either put it on every page, or put it on the main page.

2) Make the customization more apearant, kinda noticed the favorites. if people knew about that, they would register and use it. If you want people to register make it so they have an incentive to register. it is kinda just there now. if you go this route, make it super customized for the user.

3) I feel that there is too much wasted space on the main page. Maybe put a search box or a newsletter box below the dev critic button.

4) i love the daily link and daily tip, that rocks.

5) the colors are great like many have mentioned.

6) on a macintosh the tabs on the top arn't connected like they should be, there is a black line down them.
    example http://www.stillsucks.com/mycoding.gif

7) when clicking on the links, i like to know eher i am going, i don't need to be told in the window that i am going to the tutorials section. i know i am going there, i don't need to be told again."onMouseOver="window.status='Tutorials'; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status='';" and the people who use this are often trying to trick you.

8) i don't think the menu on the left should be in alphabeticall order, i think it should be in order of importance.

9) i know you are trying to get advertising but, for now maybe just show one banner, and another different banner.

10) i think the left column should be aligned left. it should be lined up with the my coding logo.

<Edited by poil11 on 01-25-2001 at 01:08 PM>
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by poil11

1) i don't want to have to click three times to sign up for a newsletter. normally i wouldn't go throught so much trouble to get there. either put it on every page, or put it on the main page.
    It is on every page.

2) Make the customization more apearant, kinda noticed the favorites. if people knew about that, they would register and use it. If you want people to register make it so they have an incentive to register. it is kinda just there now. if you go this route, make it super customized for the user.
    I've heavily considered integrating membership into the site even more - what would you say to customization options that allowed you to, for example, see a drop-down jump menu in place of the 4 links on every page (right-hand navbar)?

6) on a macintosh the tabs on the top arn't connected like they should be, there is a black line down them.
    example http://www.stillsucks.com/mycoding.gif
    I'm actually aware of that, but the number of Mac users that have visited are too small to count. Ditto to Netscape - 90-95% of of my users use IE 4 or 5.

7) when clicking on the links, i like to know eher i am going, i don't need to be told in the window that i am going to the tutorials section. i know i am going there, i don't need to be told again.&quot;onMouseOver=&quot;window.status='Tutorials'; return true;&quot; onMouseOut=&quot;window.status='';&quot; and the people who use this are often trying to trick you.
    I'm thinking this over - I either plan to get rid of them, or add more useful information in each status description.

8) i don't think the menu on the left should be in alphabeticall order, i think it should be in order of importance.
    The problem there, unfortunatly, is that I can't really decide on importance. It will vary from person to person. A somewhat random order makes things harder to find - I don't think I can really go wrong with an alphabetical order much.

<Edited by TWTCommish on 01-25-2001 at 01:50 PM>