SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi There,

Well, as some of the regulars here know, I've had a link to MyCoding.com's under construction page in my signature for roughly 6 months. It's launched now:

http://www.mycoding.com

I'm looking for comments on the design, basic idea, and content mostly. The content will be hard to review though: only 5 documents are posted as of today (the 16th). I have another 2 dozen (roughly) saved up that I'll be updating with every day, so the content will grow quickly.

I wouldn't mind a comment or two on compatibility, but I'm not too concerned with that right now.

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...I get to be the first person to review this site...I am sure because of the length of time you have had this link up and your popularity in these forums you will get several...now on to the review:

Settings:

Windows 98 SE
    Internet Explorer 5.0
    56K Modem (though of course you know we never get that :smiley

Review:

I have to admit I cannot seem to find anything to complain about...this site is very well layed out & I can tell that you must of put a lot of thought into the design the navigation is well put together (*you don't get lost*)...all in all this site looks like it will become a high quality site in the future. You can be sure I have added it to my favorites.
    [b]James Dasher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris,

Beautiful site.

I like the open look yet you have been able to leave the image of it being a unit. Nicely done.

I am always hearing, "Never more than 3 colors". What you have works well.

SitePoint and DevCritic maybe could use alt= filled out for the accessability. Also at this point, the accessability features of your site are good. At some point you may want to consider accesskey= for the links from page to page. (I have not done mine yet either).

Very readable, very clear, good contrast font to bg.

Very good indeed.

thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea...need ALT tags (and TITLE tags as well, for Opera users!) on those buttons, and some other images.

As for the accesskey feature: how would that work? All I'm familiar with is it's use on forms. Or was that what you were suggesting?

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you like it! Keep 'em coming.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive Chris! I am loving the logo. You already got some content up too which is nice.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it works really well. The other accessibility feature which your site might benefit from is a text link at the beginning of the document straight to your main content. This is because you ahve a longish menu on the lefy hand side of the screen and a speech browser would have to read that menu over and over again on every single page. Whereas if you include a small link at the beginning of the menu

<a href="#main">Go to content</a>

or something similar, would be very helpful to blind users.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Chris. It is preportioned very well and looks great. Everything blends and you did a great job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I know that the mods on the forum hate when people say... good site but Chris... Great site! Its been worth the four months that I've had to see that signature with Mycoding.com still under construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Added another small tutorial today. Should be updating 5+ times a week over the next month or so.

Also had to fix a few technical problems - all should be well now though. I've also added some ALT and TITLE tags in a couple places, as requested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly speaking, this site proved to be much better than what I had in mind. I love the design.

I am using IE 5.01 (Windows 98) and selecting an item from the drop down lists (Articles and Reviews) produces a javascript error; "document.form1.site.options is not an object". (Tutorials and Coding Queries work fine).

Overall the site is nicely designed, but I am not sure about the content. I am NOT into Perl
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see if I can figure that out, but I'm surprised you came across that error.

Perl? Heck, I don't like it much either - just wrote an article on how long it might last. I like PHP much more.

Oh, added another article today - 3rd update in a row. You can probably expect another document of sorts each day for at least another week or so. Lots of reviews, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent job, very appealing and overall a quality design and site.

Two comments:

1. Something makes me not like how the logo is to the outside of the width of the design and the menu links. Maybe moving the banner and logo over to the right some would look better.

2. On the tabs at the top, it would be nice if they would change themselves, not just the link colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see if I can find time to experiment with the logo placement a bit, but to accomplish what you've mentioned with the tabs would obviously require an image mouseover effect, and for now, I like the idea of using text, so I can update it easily.

Thanks for the comments though, you've all been very helpful, flattering, and insightful thus far! Don't stop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, just a note about your tab colours:

You can write a very short piece of code in javascript that will change the colour of a table datacell.

<tr>
    <td bgcolor=333333 width=96% valign=top onMouseover=this.style.backgroundColor='222222' onMouseout=this.style.backgroundColor='333333' onclick=window.location='downloads.shtml'><ilayer width=100%><layer width=100% onMouseover=this.bgColor='222222' onMouseout=this.bgColor='333333'><a class=bla href=downloads.shtml>Downloads</a><br></layer></ilayer></td></tr>

That's an exerp from one of my VERY old sites I'm sure you can fix up the code but it works well in IE and pretty well in NetScape. Netscape has a little trouble with putting padding around the cell - at least when I tried. I could've overlooked something in my table though.

If you do that, then it'd be possible to change the colours of the tabs and still keep them easily updateable.

just a thought.
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahead of ya on that one Jer - the problem would be the images on either side of the table cell that make up the rounded part of things and the illusion of a tab - I'd have to updat the images as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about using images that are transparent everywhere save for the curved edges? I do believe that's possible. Then you would only have to make one set of images.
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's the point - the rounded part are gray, or blue - ya see what I mean? I guess technically it could be done, but odds are it wouldn't look quite right, and take a long time to boot!

If any graphic gurus would like to weigh in, I'll hear 'em out

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ===== SPECS =====
    Monitor: 17' @ 800x600
    Connection: 640k/640k DSL
    Browser: IE 5.5
    ===== SPECS =====

First off, let me start with the top menu. The corners are bugging me a little - they're not exactly "rounded." It's almost diagonal. I think it would look better if you used like a 20x20 circle or something.

Second, the left side menu looks very unorganized to me. Some type of bullet, like the kind you use on the right side menu, would fix this problem. Also, after looking at it, I think it would be better capitalized, especially with bullets.

Thirdly, the buttons on the right, "Submit" and "Archive," aren't doing anything for me. They don't go with the look of the site in general. I think it may be the font.

Everything else looks pretty good to me. Lovin' the logo as well. I'd say a pretty good site overall. Nice work!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent design and layout. Very professional. What else can I say, other than that I'm a bit humbled [webmaster2000 returns to his administration page to try and make web-master.tv look a bit more appealing]

I'm sure you'll experience a good deal of success with a page that is well built and content-packed.

By the way, the logo is nice also.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I appreciate the kind words. LOL @ the logo comments: it's everyone's favorite part of the site, and it's the one part I didn't make! Hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris...

Well, in matter of design I was a bit disappointed. No offense to you, but its a general design (like the current design of freesources.net is general). The top part (links and date) seems to bother me...

Also, it's 'weird' you have the link to your tutorials at the bottom of your link list on the left, when it is even mentioned at the top...

But when you look deeper, so to the kind of backend you have, that looks very very good. Congratulations on that. You can still improve the design easily, but a back-end is probably more difficult to change.

I'd expected more tutorials/articles (well you said it was going to whipe SitePoint, but than again that was ironically ) but as you stated you will be adding more.

Other suggestions as the ones stated above is, that the space where the content is is rather narrow. I, personally, don't like to go to a new line every 7 words. There is a lot of 'wasted' space on the sides. Maybe you can get some compromise...

Good luck, and luckily we're not rappers, else i'd have to shoot you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CJ.

- "Tutorials" is at the bottom of the navbar on the left because it's ordered alphabetically there, with the exception of the home page link.

- I don't recall bragging about preparing to take on SitePoint, or defeat it or anything. I do think I have a good chance to have more programming content at some point, but that will depend on many things.

- Content is a bit sparse, but as you can see, that's changing *VERY* quickly. Added 4 documents to start on the 15th, updated on the 16th, then the 17th, then on the 18th, none on the 19th, and now on the 20th. 8 and counting.

- I'll work on fixing the table problems - I have made it a bit wider since the launch, and yes, I agree the content needs a little more space. I'm sure I'll fix this at some point.

Thanks, keep the reviews coming, they've been very helpful so far!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site is very well designed. I don't see any flaws right now. Why is the newsletter tab spaced a little further than the other ones though?
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe that it is, Wedge - what browser/resolution are you using? Looks fine to me in IE and Opera. Glad you like the layout overall, though!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using 1152x864 with Internet Explorer 5
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com