SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've just re-designed our commercial site for our web-site design company. http://www.lighthousedesign.net We've attempted to create a more professional and up-to-date "look" to our site. We're also contemplating adding a new section of articles/resources for potential customers who need assistance in deciding whether they need a website. We'd also like your opinions on whether you think this is a good idea.

Thanks in advance for your reviews.

Kell
    Lighthouse Design Group
    Better Websites...By Design

www.lighthousedesign.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kell

Thanks for sharing the site.

I checked each of the pages and I like the menu at the top with the submenu being displayed for each of the major divisions.

You might want to reconsider the use of home in the menu. Yes it does return to the front, but there is nothing to do at that location, or are there plans?

The font for the accessed text may be just a touch small.

I do like the colors.

Wish you well with the site.

peace

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks fine but I would seriously reconsider the following phrase:

This site is is best viewed at a screen resolution of 800x600 .
    Your screen resolution is 1024x768 .
    We recommend changing your screen resolution so you can view this site the way it was designed.
    It actually annoyed me to the point that I had to eat some chocolate

Nah seriously, I think it looks unprofessional seeing as you are offering web design services to your clients. If you really want to include it make it less obviuos and imply the fact that even though it was designed for a specific resolution it should be usable in ALL resolutions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The company overview I think would benefit from a description of the various sub sections, you shouldnt expect your audience to use the menu. Further more the our team pictures are an impressive sight, cool.

Our Mission, Our.. and all the subpages off the services section as well should have a larger font (easier to read) and don't be afraid to quote yourself. Inbetween or above some of the paragraphs add a "what you think is most important". Know what I mean?

Stop using Network solutions for domain regs?

And yes, your our work page. I think you should display links to all the pages etc. And perhaps a larger version of all samples if it's just graphics work. Would be nice if you wrote what you did for them perhaps? And well once again the sections should be described more clearly on the overview page (index page). And on for example the flash examples it would be nice to know who you did it for, and of course larger font. I'd loose the bg color of the table tds. I just saw that you don't have a index page of the our work page. I think you should add one.

Your humanclick image has a spelling error I believe.. "No operator is available, Click to leave a message" OR "No operators are available". So either loose the plural on operator or add an are. Any way... english isnt my native language so what do I know?

/Anders

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions you guys have made so far. It really helps to see our site through other people's eyes after staring at it ourselves for so long. We agree with most of the suggestions made but do have a couple of questions:

Originally posted by Anders
    ...don't be afraid to quote yourself. Inbetween or above some of the paragraphs add a "what you think is most important". Know what I mean?

Stop using Network solutions for domain regs?

And yes, your our work page. I think you should display links to all the pages etc. ... I just saw that you don't have a index page of the our work page. I think you should add one.
    /Anders
    1. Not sure what you mean about the quotes. Could you elaborate?

2. What's wrong with Network Solutions? Is there a better route to go?

3. Not sure what you mean about an index page of our work? Could you also elaborate on this?

Also, we'd like to know if you guys think it's a good idea to include resources for people/businesses thinking about getting a website. In your opinion, will it help us, or will it be a waste of our time?

Thanks again!

Kell
    Lighthouse Design Group

www.lighthousedesign.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Kell
    1. Not sure what you mean about the quotes. Could you elaborate?

2. What's wrong with Network Solutions? Is there a better route to go?

3. Not sure what you mean about an index page of our work? Could you also elaborate on this?

Also, we'd like to know if you guys think it's a good idea to include resources for people/businesses thinking about getting a website. In your opinion, will it help us, or will it be a waste of our time?
    1. Well, basicly what I mean is to give your paragraphs a headline to attract the attention of the visitor. For example if you have a large paragraph which describes one of your account options you could put the headline: "hosting from $10 a month". See what I mean?

2. Well there are those who do it cheaper, at a lower cost to the consumer. If you're aiming for volume you might wish to take a look at TUCOWS system Open SRS, http://www.opensrs.org
    Or become an affiliate with someone like homepagenames.com, cheaper!

3. Well basicly a page which explains what the various subsections contain. A small image, title and description perhaps?

(4) Depends. Do you have the time to spare? If you do it right your customers will love you for it! Find out what they want to know, and make it available.

/Anders

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clarification Anders. I'm with ya now. Great suggestions from everyone. Now if someone could just tell me how to get more hours out of a day, I'd be all set!

Kell
    Lighthouse Design Group

www.lighthousedesign.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kell,

Ouch! Those nasty jpegs kill, I thought Gif logos were standard. Converting to gif (or png) should let you match up the blue image backgrounds with the rest of the blue table background. Or once gifs you can give them a transparent background and save color matching (gets tricky). Something about the welcome text being at the bottom of the page. Oh an you need one of them snazy flash enter buttons or something. Your plain white font "ENTER HERE" dosent scream "Click Me!".

Once inside however I was impressed an saw no need for improvment. If anything your plain white nav links text could be fancied up some. A hover effect of some kind to show that it's really a link might help?
    Scott Harrison
    Site Webmaster
    Game Development
    ----------------
    www.dirtsims.com