SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U.S. & Canadian CC processing

I have a client that needs an ecommerce site to sell a single product (initially) costing $130US in the United States and in Canada. To further complicate this issue the company has separate entities in each country, so they want to deposit the money into each entity's account depending on where the sale originates. Is there an easy way to handle this?

I'm looking to use an outsourced shopping cart solution (like Authorize.net's WebLink) to keep the cost down since the client only has a single product.

I haven't been able to find a single payment solution that will work in both countries, let alone being able to route the money to different accounts. It sounds like two merchant accounts will be neccessary. Also, it seems highly unlikely that these two merchant accounts would use the same outsourced shopping cart. I guess this really shouldn't complicate the integration too much since you basically just paste in an HTML tag. Two "Buy" buttons would be neccessary for each country, I guess.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Aaron,

This is similar to my situation, I have a presence in both countries, and I accept both currencies.

Unfortunately, I have had to acquire two merchant accounts in order to have payments directed into two different places. Although there are several merchant accounts that will accept both currencies, I never found one that would split the deposits into both countries.

I don't use a shopping cart, so I can't offer any thoughts on that aspect.

Hope this helps,

Karen
    Do you always seem to live paycheck to paycheck?
    Tired of struggling financially?
    Do you wonder why some people seem to be 'lucky'?
    Learn The Secret to Success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might review paysystems - jacker is on here & could give you a little more information. If you are expecting a lot of sales - there is also the chance as Karen pointed out to having a US merchant account & a Canadian merchant account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention..

Even though one merchant account would be ideal, having two merchant accounts allows for easier accounting. The monthly transactions and processing fee's are defined and reported separately.

Karen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen - Check out Paradata. (paradata.com). They are Canadian but also service US accounts. They are an excellent company, and they have a wide variety of Merchant products. These were listed on their homepage: Paradata BatchPay, Paradata CommerceConnect, Paradata EasyConnect, Paradata HostedPay, Paradata OpenConnect, Paradata RecurPay,
    Paradata SecureAuth, Paradata VirtualPay. I assume you can learn more about them on their site. I just set up a merchant in Ottawa with them and he was very happy with their service. Check it out and compare to your other options.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Corey!

Aaron (and Karen)

We (PaySystems) can probably provide you with the solution you are looking for. We would set you up with a multi-currency account (USD and CAD) and then settle the Canadian orders into the Canadian bank account, and the USD transactions into the American bank account. As far as the shopping cart goes, we can provide you with that (it comes for free) but if you are only selling the one product, is it possible that a shopping cart will be overkill?

Let's talk and work these things out. By the way, our setup fee is $49...

I look forward to having you as a client.

Cheers
    James
    -----
    james

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone! Jacker, I will be in contact with you later today.

Perhaps my use of the words "shopping cart" is not appropriate in this case. Being that there is only a single product initially, all I'm really looking for is a PayPal-style "Buy Now" button that takes you to an SSL order processing page (offsite). This seems like something that most companies are offering.

Aaron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacker
    We (PaySystems) can probably provide you with the solution you are looking for. We would set you up with a multi-currency account (USD and CAD) and then settle the Canadian orders into the Canadian bank account, and the USD transactions into the American bank account.
    Cheers
    James

This is not accurate. Paysystems requires two accounts in order to accept both US and Canadian currencies, not one for both currencies.

James, can you update this thread please.

Karen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~karen~
    This is not accurate. Paysystems requires two accounts in order to accept both US and Canadian currencies, not one for both currencies.

James, can you update this thread please.

Karen

Karen

Thanks for pointing that out.

Karen is correct. While you would actually have two accounts with us, one in each currency, there would only be one setup fee and the integration would be identical for both accounts. It would be a simple copy and pste into each of the buy now buttons, one button being for CAD prchasers and one for USD purchasers.

Hope that makes sense...

Cheers
    James
    -----
    james