SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently finishing designing a web site http://www.infinitywebdesign.fsbusiness.co.uk and i now want to add it to as many search engines as possible. I basically want to promote the site to as many places as possible.

I would like to do it for free, as i do not mind manually submitting them myself. Are there sites that lists loads of search engines where i can submit my site?

Is there a site that offers to do it for free?

Is there some excellent software that would be worth inveting in?

Does anyone have any really good tip or know of some excellent submission methods, please,

I look forward to a reply,

internationally.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It is not worth it to submit to more than the Top 10-15 search engines and directories. These include:
    • Yahoo!
    • DMOZ
    • AltaVista
    • Google
    • Excite
    • Lycos
    • Webcrawler
    • AOL Netfind
    • HotBot
    • Infoseek
    • Looksmart

There are many more big ones as well, that is just a list off the top of my head.

Manually submit your site to each of the big search engines, and avoid using auto-submitters. Automatic submission services are poor for many reasons:
    • Many engines reject these submissions
    • There is no resubmitting
    • There is no substitue for submitting by hand

A good search engine placement usually requires goot META tags and a bit of experience in formatting your page for the search engines. Include keywords in the ALT tags of your images, as well as in your title.

I'd hate to self-promote, but I have written quite a bit about the engines. I have a tutorial on getting listed and a tutorial to help improve your rank.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Search Engines forum

Good luck with the engines!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little bit different ideas.

You are preferred to submit manually to the top 10-15 search engines. And then use software like submitwolf and etc. to submit your sites to other search engines and portals. The reasons are: 1. It can increase link popularity, an important factor for major search engines. 2. Though smaller sites cannot generate substantial traffic for you, but just think about that: You submit to 1000 sites, and every 3 site generate 1 hit daily, you can get 333 visitors daily.

It's worthy to submit to Yahoo and looksmart even though the submission is not free.

Also, you can consider ezine marketing, link exchange with other web sites, etc.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that SubmitWolf wasn't such a good program to use. I even think that SitePoint did a review of it in WebmasterBase.com. Web Position Gold got the highest score, so you might want to try it too (they give you a 30 day trial version on both programs, I believe). But the best overall strategy is to submit your links manually. Autosubmitters don't always get your site in the right/best category.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also remember that you and thousands of other website owners are all trying to get that top 10 position. Not everyone can make it there all the time.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Web Position Gold for our clients. It takes 4 to 6 months of work to get up in the top 20 listings, but it does work. If you get it, subscribe to the knowledge base, since the search engine criteria change on a regular basis.
    I agree, that you should only worry about the top 12 to 15 search engines, most of the others are in popular places like Tonga, or Nairobi, most of the English speaking smaller ones contract their database from Inktomi, or others, and that's already covered in the above submissions.
    Veesha
    Be your own ISP
    "Your One Source Web Solutions Provider"
    http://www.eDirectAmerica.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished my second site http://www.Gr8-business.com 2 months ago and decided to "do it properly". I used a professional host and purchased AddWeb 3 to get it listed on as many SE's as possible. I have submitted it twice now (once every 30 days as allowed) and have yet to get a listing on any of the major engines. My first site is hosted with tripod and although the only thing that cost me anything was registering the domain name http://www.manx2000.co.uk it is listed on most of the majors and I get approx. 50 hits a day increasing to 200+ during the TT races! Is this because I registered it with the engines myself or is it because it's not a commercial site?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because you 1) haven't given it enough time or 2) the tool you're using doesn't work well ( I don't know that one, so I can't tell you).
    Veesha
    Be your own ISP
    "Your One Source Web Solutions Provider"
    http://www.eDirectAmerica.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't claim to be an expert but I know that when I got my own domain name I managed to get on more search engines. As I see your site is hosted with Freeserve I believe that they do not allow you to host your own domain via them but you could register it and then forward it to your Freeserve account! Seeing as you are selling domain names to your customers it would be much more professional if you had your own. Good Luck with your business.