SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help installing message board

I'm really interested in installing a message board on our websites, and downloaded Invision. But as I was reading the installation instructions, I realized I was in over my head, especially when it started talking about CHMODs and the like. I have a MYSQL database that I use for our blogs, and figured I could use it for the message boards as well.

I was hoping somebody would be kind enough in really walking me through this via e-mail or IM. I'm not sure what I could offer in return, links, maybe some cash, my eternal gratitude.

Or if somebody knows of a bulletin board that is free that is idiot proof, one that will explain every little step, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Craig
    Dog Gift Baskets - Doggie Deliveries features dog gift baskets filled with gourmet dog treats.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CHMOD is basically the Unix/Linux term for changing file permissions (read, write, etc). Most FTP clients should have the option to CHMOD a file via the rightclick menu.

Smart FTP: Highlight the file then press F7 (you can also use the rightclick menu, I find the F7 method faster). You will be shown a dialog with a bunch of options in it. Near the middle-bottom there is a box called "Permissions" and it should have a number in it. You can change this number to change the permissions. The invision power board documentation will tell you what number to use.

WSFTP Pro: Rightclick then choose properties. Unlike smartFTP, it doesn't allow you to enter the numbers so you kind-of have to do the guessing game. I'd recommend using smartFTP, but I just included this here to show that this FTP client supports CHMOD'ing too :P

Hope this helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a start. I'll be using SmartFTP, so that points me in the right direction.

I read on another string of messages that phpBB is easier to install. Do you guys recommend that as opposed to Invision for somebody like me with zero knowledge of this stuff.
    Dog Gift Baskets - Doggie Deliveries features dog gift baskets filled with gourmet dog treats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invision Power Board was the first message board I ever managed to install myself. phpBB was a mess, and so was vBulletin. Of course, that is just opinion/experience and is debatable

I didn't know what CHMOD was either when I first tried installing a message board. That was the only hard part about installing Invision Power Board. As long as you know your mySQL info (which you can email your host about if you're unsure) and how to CHMOD, installing Invision Power Board is a peice of cake

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, this is encouraging. What MYSQL information do I need to get from my host? What exactly am I looking for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need your mySQL HostName (this is usually "localhost"), Username and Password, and the name of the Database. During the installation, you will fill in those 4 fields with the information that your host provided you with. There is another field in the mySQL section called "Table Prefix", you can just leave this blank. That is only used for multiple installations on the same database, nothing you need to be concerned with. I just now re-read your first post and you mentioned you had a blog, the mySQL settings should be the same for both the blog and the message board so an email to your host may be unnecessary

The installer will ask you several questions, most of them you will not need to modify. The first section is paths and URLs, which the installer will automatically figure out for you, so you do not need to touch any of these fields. The second section is your mySQL information, which your host will provide you with. The third section is for your message board account, you shouldn't need help filling that part out.

For help in the future (or now, if you wish), you should check out Invision Tools. It's a very good site which offers support, utilities (tools that may check the security of your board, show any configuration mistakes, etc.), upgrade kits which only contain the files needed for upgrading to a newer version, and more. I'd definately recommend bookmarking the site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first forum I set up was a cgi-script with no installer. As I recall it took weeks to get it running with no knowledge of permissions, paths, etc. The installers on the PHP boards make it a piece of cake

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invision is a breeze to install. If needing assitance then contact me via PM, l'm currently installing like two a day

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SoCalled,
    I may just take you up on that offer. Lemme take another crack at it in the morning, then I'll see how it goes.
    - Craig

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in setting up my message board. It's installed, so now comes the fun part -- trying to create a community. No sweat, right?

Thanks again!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude you missed out the skinning and hacking stages Or maybe wait for vers 2.0 :dunno: