Thread: php and flash

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there all

Can anyone help me?

I'm looking for a php script which is used in conjunction with Flash for a flash based chat room. Apparently it combines kick-*** design with chatroom functionality, which is what I'm looking for.

If not, can anyone suggest an alternative which would provide the usual chatroom functionality, at a reasonable price. Better yet, a free script or applet which can be downloaded, or a service which is reliable.

Looking forward to exploring the issue.

Thanks

Gareth
    -> www.oneafrikan.com ><-><><-><-><-><-><
    -> www.openboxsoftware.com ><><-><-><-><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry about that *** - not meant to offend anyone ;-)

layta
    gareth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the php bit is easy(ish) its the flash that is the pain in the ***** (english spelling hense 5 * )

you can get flash to load variables in real time (without refresh) from a php script which basically just returns a bunch of vars - in the format, fisrtvar=this&second=that&third=the other.... etc etc

I have managed that much myself... the hard (for me ) bit is getting flash to run the script at regular intervals, its easy to run the script on a flash button click, another to set this to run every x seconds, but Flash5's action script is apparently more like javascript? have not looked at it yet.

Anyway if you do not know much flash? you need to check out tutorials on 'set' & 'load variables'

sorry , not much help was it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for some input from a friend who may be able to help. He reckons that the tut. is at Flashkit, and the php in a local (SA) magazine ;-)

Anyway - if anyone else has some input - cool. Otherwise, I'll post the anwer when I get it.

Thanks
    Gareth

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a PHP/Flash Chat system at http://www.hotscripts.com. With massive customizing to the PHP and Flash scripts I made the chat room in my Portfolio (click below).
    HAVE YOU EVER SIGHED A BREATH OF SATISFACTION DUE TO FINALLY MAKING YOUR CODE WORK THE WAY YOU ENVISIONED,
    AND THEN REALIZED THAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO TO BED WHEN ALL YOUR NEIGHBORS ARE GETTING UP AND GOING TO WORK?

Portfolio************************************************************Email************************************************************HomePage