SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using Netscape 4.0, when I come to the page that asks for a password to enter into our online store and click on "Browse" so I can enter withtout registering, a security window comes up stating:

"Any information you submit is insecure and could be observed by a third party while in transit. If you are submitting passwords, credit card numbers, or other information you would like to keep private, it would be safer for you to cancel the submission"

What do I need to do so this error message does not come up and drive customers away?
    Here is the link to the page in our website.
    http://www.keomed.com/shop/shopper_lookup.asp?

Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get that using Netscape 4.08. It let me go right in and browse the catalog without any kind of warning. If you like..(and if you remind me) I'll look with a couple of other versions of Netscape at home tonight.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    psalzer, I would greatly appreciate that.
    I am using Netscape 4.08 and whenever I click on the "Browse" button, I am prompted by this security window. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing what you find out.
    Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem..but if you don't hear from me by 9 or 10 EST give me a nudge..just post in this thread and I'll get the e-mail. Things get busy and I have no memory left..too bad you can't upgrade that for humans, huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THis does not have anything to do with the web site. It is a feature in Netscape that warns the visitor when they are sending information online. The reason it is coming up for one of you and not the other is because you each have your security levels set differently on the browser. Sort of like you can turn "accept cookies" to on, off or warn. There may be a way to put something in the code to keep that message from coming up, but I do not know it.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, of course, but I guess the problem is that it's coming up when no one is sending information of any kind, but in fact, just looking at a catalog. That would be the site related problem, I think.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That warning will show up if you switch from a secured page to a unsecured page as well.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that you may be able to disable it by changing your browser preference, but we shouldn't expect customers to do that just for our website.

I would like to set it so the message does not come up. We do have SSL encryption but that is not prompted until the customer is ready to submit their credit card information.

But with this security message coming up right before you enter our store, it makes it sound like the entire site is not secure and that the customer should not trust us.

There has to be a way around this.
    I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Thanks
    -Hideki

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is something to discuss with whoever constructed the security options. If the login page is prompting it, then the login page could be moved someplace that you don't encounter if you don't want it and a page that offers the option to browse or shop without the login on the same page might work better. You're probably not going to get rid of the warning if people are actually logging into the secure server, but you should be able to get rid of it when they're just looking at product pages and haven't begun to shop at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, after looking at the coding much closer, the only two places where I get the warning is when I click the Login button or when I click the browse button as a guest. Looking at the codeing, both links are submit buttons from a form. If you can make the browse as a guest, just a link and not a submit button, then you would get rid of the warning. But netscape is going to produce that warning if you click on a submit button, reguardless to whether or not you actually put in information. Hope this helps. But then again, there may be a way around this, but I would think not unless you can make it a link.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design