User Tag List

Thread: Anonymous Users

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anonymous Users

I've been assigned a task of creating an event evaluation site where competitors in our sport can fill out a form to evaluate the event they just participated in. The key is they need to be anonymous however they only want one evaluation form per competitor. I'm trying to see how on earth you can do that without using a user registration procedure. I am technically a 3rd part to the competitors and events so registration would be trusted to me.

I don't know of any other effective means to track who is who and keep them from filling out multiple forms per event (skewing data). Cookies can be deleted and if you want one per event, the cookie jar fills up! I could look at individual sessions, but IPaddresses are assigned dynamically for big hitters like AOL...so I'd hate to restrict by IP address.

I see user registration as the most effiecient method of doing this..there is just the anonymity aspect. I as the db admin would see all data of course I could connect username to email for instance. However I've also considered encrypting the email like password so even I can't make the connection by reading the db.

Any thoughts on how to do this..using php&mysql?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone realy want to vote/comment multiple times, nothing will stop him...

So, IMHO, the best solution is that user writes in his email and then confirms his input by folowing confirmation link send to him.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OR.. Each person fills out their name and conatct - email, phine, mail ect,.

If a name (John Smith) appears more than once then that person should be contacted to see WHICH submition was really his or hers. If that person could not be found the submitions mearly go in the trash.

Also, post a note above the submitions so they know why you want their info; people like to be informed.

Res

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to make sure that a unique user doesn't submit an evaluation several times on the same event. My first thoughts are a user registration and cookies to keep them autologged in. They may not feel this allows them to be anonymous by having to "register".

You're suggesting having email to activate each individual elavuation response versus having a user registration? That seems like a lot of email activation and that seems to be trouble especially for AOL users because AOL always breaks a long link in an email.

Because this isn't a rating site but a customer feedback site, the desire to send in 600 forms to boost any specific event to the top of the list might be reduced.

I have also considered having the email address as the username and then encrypting it like a password so even the db admin can't figure out the email of the user and thus make a connection possibly. It plays hell trying to lookup someone's email address to send them a forgotten password. The lost password would look for email they put in the form and send new password with the email from the form submit since it won't be able to read the one in the db.

yes there would be a site useage page to describe how the information collected would be used and maintained.