SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video games here. If you didn't know, Nintendo is releasing its next-generation gaming system in October 2001, called the Nintendo GameCube. While it has not yet arrived, we've still got coverage. Nintensity.com is one of the leading GameCube-only websites out there. A couple thousand uniques per day.

http://nintensity.com - got anything to say? opinons? suggestions? anything? Please review.
    Frank L.
    Owner / Editor In Chief, Nintensity
    frank@nintensity.com

"In society, you can have sex for free, or you can have sex for money. The difference is that sex for free will cost more."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice of color, font, and layout. Easy to navigate. And nice use of advanced CSS functions.

I ran your page through Net Mechanic. It found about 240 errors on the home page, you should probably go through the code and check it out. http://results.netmechanic.com/aps1/...&ld=26.64&hw=1
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I like the look.

About the code. I notices that there is no close to the body tag and no close to the html tag. I am sure these are mentioned in the summary offered by westmich.

Early in the code there is an end to td, tr, and table and this is before table has been opened. You might want to jump on that and see if many of the other errors go away.

We look forward to working with you on the problems.

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there,
    although not a big console fan myself - i had a look at the site anyway...

the main header and navigation bar type thing does give the site a very individual look - but i can't help to think that you could have done a little more with the words in the navigation bar - perhaps some sort of images of somekind with a rollover effect?

Content-wise it looks very very impressive/thorough. The flash bit for the forums is good too. I see you've kept a very tight colour scheme throughout the site which is I suppose a good thing (consistency) but i don't think a little variety would hurt (does look a bit drab i'm afraid)...

overall though i think it's a well designed and valuable resource for nintendo enthusiats.

hope that help.
    kind regards,
    J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The color scheme is a little dull (I think the gray should be lighter), overall it's a nice looking site. It's flashy, as a video-game site ought to be.

The main advice I would give is to take your tables and space them out a bit. The GameList is a good example: the text inside seems cramped and squished.

Nice overall, though.

Browser: Opera 5.0
    Operating System: Windows ME
    Screen Resoolution: 800x600

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krank up the contrast and make it less flat. And put some livelyhood in those colors.
    Founder of ArtBeast!
    And graphics designer guy of vBulletin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey NINTENSITY.

im a game addict and found none better than my Dreamcast.
    <sorry>.

i did find one small typo though. on the homepage, in the MAILBAG section, you wrote "Got a burning question that you just need to get off your chest? Well just [u][b]as[b][u] it here and it will be answered in the next weekly mailbag." I'm sure you meant 'ask'.

secondly, you use a great color scheme and agree with a comment above about using a different or lighter bg color instead of "dfdfdf". since you have most of your content of the homepage on the top half of the page, and bottom looks a little plain due to lack-of. perhaps more graphics will fool the eye? or even better, a very subtle bg image?

other than that, i have no complaints.

its very

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grey background makes the site looked washed out. If you'll forgive the pun the site doesn't look very 'nintense'

There is an overwealmingly eye-catching no no on the title bars. The right side of each bar shows nice clean crisp antialiasing, lovely. But while the left is clearly aliased and blurred later.
    On something that appears frequently (9 times on the front page) throughout the site I would suggest that if the software you use can't anti-alias that degree of curve correctly then you should do it manually. On that small a graphic it should take you less than 10 minutes (manually anti-aliasing by eye is not too difficult against white black and grey backgrounds).

For the blue in-page headings I would suggest that you use a different font, Tahoma (which they are now) and verdana only look good at 12px and below, unless you increase the weight to pad them out. Bold 12px Arial tends to work well in this role. Verdana was designed originally to look good (and more importantly be readable) at small point sizes on laptop screens, and low res-monitors.

There is not much design continuity in the layout elements of the site. at the top and left sides you have a title and menu with hard edges and 'lopped-off' angular corners. But the section headings have nice sweeping curved edges. The blue strikethrough and turn up on these headings seems to have been an afterthought to bring some balance back to it.

There page breaks in Netscape 6, because you haven't specifies the width of the left column (the one with top story in), and the page doesn't flow to fill the space the same way it does in IE. I have screenshotted the problem and you can find the pic here: http://www.guntrisoft.com/testbed/ja...ensity-ns6.jpg (200k)

Hope this helps

Review machine
    ---------------
    Monitor: 17" Diamondtron
    Res: 1280x1024x32
    Graphics: GeForce256 32DDR
    Browser: IE 5.5, NS6
    <Edited by Drinky on 01-30-2001 at 03:08 AM>
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it! The only thing I would recommend to improve it would be to add some small images next to the "latest headlines" section to liven the page up a little. Also, you might want to cut out some of the rather long copyright at the bottom and make a seperate page for it to be in length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres an article on netscape 6 breaking table layouts:
    http://evolt.org/article/Does_Netsca...427/index.html
    Drinky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work overall, a few suggestions..

• You may consider using graphic bullets on your article headlines.
    • The background color is a bit drab. Consider a lighter shade?
    • The menu header graphic needs to be anti-aliased.
    • You should also add trademark information for nintendo products.. etc.. Just out of caution. I have never heard of a company serving as many cease and desist orders as Nintendo.
    • Switch from UBB to VBulletin. hehe, personal preferenceOnce GC is released you may appreciate the better performance on your servers.