SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I hide the source to my page? I dont like the no right-click scripts, because they are disturbing to the viewers. Does anyone have a script or anything to keep people from seeing the source to my web page?

Thanks,
    CHS

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only true way to do that is not to put the page up. No matter what, your source is viewable. Try a no right click script? No problem. Try massive amounts of whitespace? No problem. Try removing the toolbar? No problem. Between holding the mouse button down and hitting enter to get rid of the no right click script, scrolling down the source, or using the context key (on Windows keyboards), your source can be read. The real quesiton is why on earth would you feel the need to hide your source anyway?
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    Superior service. Sensible price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annette is completely right. There is NO way to hide the source code.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing about the no right click etc... It only stops people who don't care and probably was right clicking for a different reason then view source... (read net newbies)

I have a program that just reads the source. It doesn't display the page just the source. (I am sure there are a few more programs then the one I have)

Oh and yeah really all you can do is make it harder...

late
    <Edited by CryingWolf on 01-14-2001 at 01:57 AM>
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, can you give me the script for the no toolbar thing? Thanks for all your help so far!

CHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be frank and say i simply do not use right click when i want to look at the source of a page. This is because when i first used IE i dont think the source option was available on the right click toolbar! And for all those true nerds out there im sure you can sympathise with the automatic muscle movements thing :-)
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I hate to say it but I really laughed the first time I saw a page with no right click. I use right click to copy and paste text. I think I highlighted some text and click up comes a little window. So I had to copy and paste from the edit menu.

I almost put an image one on my site for the 3d artwork images I created, but really, all a person would have to do is look at my source then call the graphic directly from the browser address bar.

I just put a big copyright notice saying that my 3d images were copyrighted and may not be used for commercial use.

I don't care if they want to use it as a wallpaper etc. Just leave my copyright in the pic alone (give me credits) And if I see it in a commercial package or I see someone making $$$ off my work, then I will see a lawyer.

I also think that trying to hide code, even if it did work, doesn't really work in the end. Most webpage designers that are worth their salt could duplicate a site without seeing any of the code. Just on looks and layout alone.

Anyway Euphonium, with all this said you should ask your question again on the client side scriping forum as this is really the wrong forum for this thread.

Also a great resource for scripts and info on them is
    http://www.javascriptcity.com

They also have a forum, and is great place if your into writing your own scripts or modifing exsisting ones.

That brings up an intresting question for me I may ask on the client side scripting forum, or a javascriptcity.

Anyway I don't mean to sound negitive about right clicks and in anycase I hope this helps???

Late
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with those posts that suggest you don't post your page/s to the web. Really!

Firstly, the internet and the www would not exist if everyone went around keeping their source code a guarded secret. The sciences would probably be 10 years behind where they are now - after all the public internet was developed for scientists by scientists to share knowledge. Those of us outside of universities and labs would be paying through the but-hole by the hour to view a closed proprietory form of the www - remember e-world, the original msn and aol?

The reason you can publish your pages on the www in the first place is because greater minds have collaborated to develop the standards and then give them to the world for free.

While I do very little web publishing myself, 90% of what I knowledge I do have I have gained from the generous contributions of people I'll never meet or know, from tutorial style web sites, usenet and forums such as this. I would not be able to program in the few languages that I do without newsgroups like comp.lang.c++ where I can post my code anytime and have phd brains from around the world debug and critique it while I'm sleeping!

If you want to hide your source code then don't publish on the word-wide-web - its not the right medium for you to grok. Print a pretty brochure or buy a page of advertising in a magazine or something.

Don't you think it a little hypocritical to be asking others to fhelp you with your code for free when you are not prepared to share it yourself?

Secondly, do you really want to screw the usability of your site by hiding the browser window navigation tool bar? Here is what Jakob Nielson http://www.useit.com (love him or hate hime) has to say about breaking the browser back-button. He rates it the number one killer of site usability ("Alertbox" May 30 ,1999) http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html

1. Breaking or Slowing Down the Back Button
    The Back button is the lifeline of the Web user and the second-most used navigation feature (after following hypertext links). Users happily know that they can try anything on the Web and always be saved by a click or two on Back to return them to familiar territory.

Except, of course, for those sites that break Back by committing one of these design sins:

* opening a new browser window (see mistake #2)
    * using an immediate redirect: every time the user clicks Back, the browser returns to a page that bounces the user forward to the undesired location
    * prevents caching such that the Back navigation requires a fresh trip to the server; all hypertext navigation should be sub-second and this goes double for backtracking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can *somewhat* be done with a script that changes the code to something that is harder to read, but it surely won't 'hide' it. I wouldn't use it for a number of reasons, thus there is no sense in explaining it much further.

If you want to hide code of a script you made and offer for sale, contact me. Otherwise, this isn't something you'd want to use.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is a pretty bad thing to break a browser!!! I hate popups that popup automaticly!!! These things will keep me from ever visiting their site again!!!

I hope that they, ie & nn browsers, will program the option of not allowing pop-ups unless called for by the browser itself someday.

Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CryingWolf
    Yeah it is a pretty bad thing to break a browser!!! I hate popups that popup automaticly!!! These things will keep me from ever visiting their site again!!!

I agree. I immediately close any pop up window. I don't care what's in it. And when I get to a site that has some useless flash entrance i click on "skip intro" straight away or "non-flash version" if its offered. If I want to watch a cartoon I'll sit infront of the television.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all of you who hate popups, try the free Web proxy named Webwasher. It blocks ads and JS popup windows. It's free for personal use at http://www.webwasher.com/ . (No, I don't work for them.)

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to be greedy with you code, just take out all the white space and break the lines at like 500 characters, it makes it VERY difficult to read the code, what do you have to hide anyways? The people can see what the code produces on their page, or save the page and edit it with a wysiwyg editor, there's a million ways around hiding the code, or no right click scripts (which i despise) because I use right click to open links in a new window. I wont even go to sites that disable it. :P
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate right click scripts, cause I right click to hit "Open in new window" and "Back", plus you can get to the source a thousand other ways.

There is no way to hide your source...and if you are using and trying to hide your HTML, you are most likely a newbie and the visitors to your site are most likely newbies that wont try to steal your code.

Anywho, try this. It can be easily broken with a script you write, but most people wont go though that effort. Plus the code looks very intimidating unless you are a programmer.

http://www.cyberarmy.com/encrypt.shtml

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate right click scripts, cause I right click to hit "Open in new window"
    Do you know you can do the same thing by holding down shift when you click? Its a little faster.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip Chris - I'll have to give that a try. Many times I've wanted to open a link in a new window, and I've always done so by right-clicking, so I wouldn't have to leave the mouse and make the tortorous journey to the keyboard.

Trying it now...

Works! Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Euphonium, dear group....I sympathize with both aspects of the problem, as on one side I am learning quite a lot from all the good code I find on all those award sites. On the other hand, I do understand security issues, as I work for a bank (you can check the scripts at http://www.corner.ch) and our main concern "over here" is that we don't want someone to hack off our pages and use them for some illicit purpose. So basically the salomonic verdict would read: "If thou needst security, then thou shall write a script and therefore hide your sins, otherwise thou shall leave your code free for all humankind to peruse!"

Peace everybody and keep up the good job!
    JingleJungle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    I hate right click scripts, cause I right click to hit &quot;Open in new window&quot;
    Do you know you can do the same thing by holding down shift when you click? Its a little faster.
    Yes I knew that