User Tag List

Thread: wages

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I faxed my resume to a local Graphics and Printing company. They called me for in for an interview. I basically have the job (I think) if I want it. They want to know how much I expect in compensation. I need some help with this. I am not sure what to ask.
    I'll be creating brochers, business cards, etc. I have about 4 years experience with photoshop (which they are using) and none with Corel draw. The minimum wage in my province is $7.60 (Canadian of course). I have no idea what to ask for.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one to mention an amount loses. These guys could be willing to pay like $30 bucks in hour and if you say, "oh I'll do it for $10" then you lose

You need to bounce it back to them. Ask, "Well how much does the job pay?" or "What did you pay your last person?" (be careful with that one cuz the guy may have been underpaid) or "How much are you willing to pay?" (be careful with this one too) It's hard but that is the game.

If you defently need an amount then ask around in your local area. What they pay people in one area maybe different in another.

Also it is good that you know the programs they use. I use to use Corel Draw for fliers etc (many many moons ago so don't ask me anything about it It is pretty easy if you know programs like photoshop, but unlike photoshop it is a vector based drawing program. Sit down with it for a day or two and you will get it!!!

Hope this helps

Late
    body { background:#000000; color:#000000 }
    HEY, WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?!?
    Easy come easy go!!!
    CryingWolf

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya..that does help...thanks...
    When she first asked me how much I wanted to get paid, I said that I wasn't going to ask for anything outrageous because this would be my first real 9-5 job...
    I think when we talk about it, I'll ask her how much she wants to pay me...

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also make sure that it is written in your contract that you have say a 3 month trial period and after that you can renegotiate wage/working hours etc!