SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Backlinker1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annual recurring payments. Another way ?

Hi
    I am in the process of setting up a membership section on one of my sites that will require annual recurring membership payments but how do these work ?

If I joined somethhing offline I / they would set up a direct debit or standing order ( in the UK ) with the bank and this would just go on until I stopped it.

Doing it online requires a recurring payment scheme off a credit card. This is not a problem, paypal, paysytems, and plenty of others all do this but I do not understand how this would work, Cards almost always have a maximum of two years life, then the expiry date would be passed and the payment could not be taken.

It is easy to say that the customer must tell the third party processor the new card details but only regular users of paypal ( et al ) would remember or bother to do this.

How do membership sites get around this ? is there some online version of a direct debit / standing order direct with the members bank ( which would probably not work well with international membership ) ?

This MAY not be a problem in my case because I suspect that they majority of people who would join my scheme would already be paypal members but I do not know this for a fact and I need to take into account that there are a lot of paypal haters out there

Graham
    Regards. Graham
    Buy, Sell, Talk And Learn About Antique British Ceramics.
    Abcir.org -
    Ceramtique.com - AbcirGroupForums.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of recurring billing gateways actually only support 6 months (for I would assume the reason you stated above re: the exp dates). We did complete something for a one year recurring billing to support a few clients.

Yes - the recurring billing would keep going on until you told it to stop. It depends on how the recurring billing is set up on the gateway. It might e-mail the consumer saying his/her yearly fees are due. If the card has expired, it might e-mail them also when it does expire & ask them to update their card.

Check with the processor to see what their terms are for that. If they do not support yearly billing - there might be another way around it as well though.