SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like some reviews on my site, http://www.graphixland.com . I would also appreciate any suggestions on what kind of content you would like to appear on the site.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome

Thanks for sharing.

The colors are kind of close to one another. Gads, that sounds strange. How about tan and tanner. So the use of the tanner text color (even with the black border, tan tanner black ) causes a kind of fade and loss of chrisptness.

Using the tan for the text in the menu has the same effect.

On the right main body tabbed item, provide some margin for the text from the left. What happened here was that on the left, the li took care of the spacing and since there was no list on the right, the indent was not provided.

Center the entire site. I am using a wider format and the site is left justified.

Free Images page
    Same margin comment as above

use valign="top" on the six little tds at the bottom of the middle area.

margin comment as above last mention, just consider for each page.

tutorials page

At the bottom of the center sections, be sure to provide a br br to avoid bumping a link ul against the bottom.

Consider clean up of the eMail. Maybe a left justify Name br Name Box br eMail br box etc.

There are some very nice things about this site. I do like the logo. I am not really fond of the colors.

Why the shadow shift on the logo? At the top and bottom of the banner - the three little boxes?

In summary: It seems very clean. The problems I mention are for the most part repeated from previous pages and this is normal.

I would say the problems are the colors and the margins.

If you would like a code check. Just reply to the affirmative.

peace

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -The title is a bit too long, it didn't even fit in the title-bar of the browser.
    -On the 'Free Images' page, the right side of the table with the links is aligned right from the darkbrown underground, so that it is partially on the lightbrown background.
    -The footer of the 'Links' page is covered with colorful animated gif's. Although they look nice, they do ruin the site's design.

/*
    reviewed using Konqueror, KDE 2.0;
    Mandrake 7.2;
    800x600, 16 bits colors;
    */
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike.. the normal this is constructive disclaimers apply, yadda yadda. This is a good start but needs some additional interface work.

1) It's not a good thing when the only colored and animated objects on the page are the ads. I find it's hard to look anywhere else on the page but the ads.. they stand out perfectly against the monotone background. If you want to downplay their presence in the layout you could:
    -not accept animated ads
    -add more graphical elements to your feature listings
    -add more colors to the site scheme

2) You need a complimentary color to play with in your interface elements. How about #003333 or #336666?

3) The inner paragraphs shouldn't be leaning against the colored tables. You could fix this by putting all the text in divs and giving them margins.. or by giving those tables some cellpadding.

4) The left nav needs something spicier than a rollover to tan.

5) If the only way to get to the message board is through a click on the Misc link, it will probably not get much traffic.

That's all on my first impression. I like how you have useful content and not just an interface! Nice work,

OG
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for all of your great ideas. I am taking all of them and planning on a way to fix them!

Also I am thinking of making an animated rollover image to fix the slight tan problem.
    <Edited by Artbymike on 01-14-2001 at 11:13 AM>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors aren't horrible, but I'd test around to see if anything fits better.

The each menu item has a pointy right side. That looks pretty strange. Why don't you just clump them in to one menu field instead of having each item lie separately?

Updates. You add an update when you add something to the site. I highly suggest you make the update actually link to the new addition, as opposed to making the visitor dig through navigation menus. Its easier on the visitor.

I don't like those gradiented blocks that flow around the banner ad. But maybe thats just me...

You seem bent on making money through commision junction. Ok, maybe you need it, but your 6 commision junction link in one page make you look kinda desperate, link you are trying to force your visitors to click on an ad. Nothing wrong with commission junction, but I'd cut down. It seems overly-emphasized.

Logo. Change the focus of it. The first thing you se in the upper left corenr is "GL" which probably makes no sense to views until then see the tiny text next to it that reads "GraphixLand". Change the focus so that the actual name of the site is emphasized.

Thats what I have to say.
    Frank L.
    Owner / Editor In Chief, Nintensity
    frank@nintensity.com

"In society, you can have sex for free, or you can have sex for money. The difference is that sex for free will cost more."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by edshuck
    The colors are kind of close to one another. Gads, that sounds strange
    Ed, it's called 'lack of contrast'.

Anyway, this was very apparent in the design. Contrast is needed to make a site better looking to the eye.

There's one rule with contrast: "if two things aren't exactly alike, make them drastically different". Small differences in color tend to stick out and look..well, bad.

How about a color besides tan? It may involve reworking your site design, but trust me, if you do, you'll be a lot better off for it.

Hope this helped! Sorry if this seemed kind of harsh..It wasn't intended to be. Your content is well done. Good job.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that was not harsh at all. It was the truth, and I thank you for that! Once I get this computer up and running correctly I will be changing my site drastically!

Thank you for all your replies, they are going to help me a lot!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see unique Photoshop tutorials that don't appear on other sites.

Other than that you are off to a good start!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hanja
    I would like to see unique Photoshop tutorials that don't appear on other sites.

Other than that you are off to a good start!
    I tend to think as Hanja. You need some original content if you want to attract some people and promote the quality of your service!
    The tutorials proposed on your site are not as qualitative or original as they could be.
    The javascript section is full of 'code' coming out from dreamweaver (wich isn't always what's best or straight to the point(see the image swap script)).
    The paint shop pro tutorials are really basics and certainly far from what i'm expecting to see in a graphics related site. (same thing for the photoshop and Corel tutorials!)

Instead of collecting informations on CSS, HTML, JAVASCRIPT and insert them on the site, i would rather focus on the 'graphics' tutorials ( after all the site is called graphixland!). Better to have some good quality and original 'graphics' tutorials than a lot of little tutorials without much interest.

I totally agree with what has been said regarding the layout of the site (You definitiely need a third color to spice up the design!). Other than that i like the way you have been organizing your site (even if i think that the drop down menu navigation can be a little confusing at first)

Also, i think that the ads that are all-over your site tend to take away your credibility. (I personally think that people selling their services should limit the number of ads displayed on their site... to me it seem that if their business is working correctly they don't need ads to pay their hosting! :O) )
    But i think that the banner ad could be displayed on the tutorials pages.
    As well i think that if your 'ads text links' could sound a little less like advertissment and more like a 'great tips'; that could certainly increase the click ratio and definitely reduce this 'ads pressure' we get when entering your site.

I think that's a really good start, i really like your idea of offering tutorials and free work on your area of expertise; it seem to me like a great way to promote your services. (Yes, I really like this idea ... i was thinking about doing something similar not that far ago... the problem is that i did not find my area of expertise! ). Yeah Mike, i know what you are thinking about...but... nope, my area of expertise isn't to criticize and say bad stuff about your work! lol)

I hope that the review don't sound too rude (that's not my intention), i'm just trying to offer some advices, but you can do whatever you want with those!(yeah, do like most people don't care about my advices! )

Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am definatly going to be adding a lot of tutorials for Photoshop, Corel Draw, and Paint Shop Pro. I am working on them right now, I am also creating new tutorials for Fireworks, and Dreamweaver. Which all will be added with in the month!

Criticism is good, it is the only thing that can change the site and make it excel!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow cool site ,i use win 98 56k ie5.5 and some kinda graphics card i think its voodoo 3 (iam not sure)but as iam new to webdesigning i coant really tell u anything about the code but it loaded up pretty fast i couldnt see any probs with the links,the content is just what i wanted to find as i can learn stuf from it so i thought it waqs pretty dam good keep up the good work
    let me have it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5.5800x600DSLThe site loads very quickly. The colors are a bit dull, but are also very easy on the eyes. There seems to be hundreds of icon and web graphics sites on the internet, but none of them have good tutorials on how to create your own and have them look professional. I would explore this avenue, cuz I know that I am still looking for a good site dedicated to creating web graphics. Good luck, -JRW

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browser InfoIE 5.5 - Windows 2000 Pro800x600 ResolutionThe design is nice and the colors you chose are easy to read for me.One thing I would do is resize the table with the poll so you don't have so much empty space. Another thing with your tables I would do is to put some cellpadding in them so that the text does not go all the way to the edge.On the free images place I would valign="top" on the tables so that the text is at the top of the tables. And do something about the table border, that 3D bar is old school and I don't think it looks very good.Thanks, Andy