SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a little problem using dreamweaver, I hope it's just a box that I shouldn't have checked or something...here's the problem.

When I design my pages using dreamweaver and I use layers to have my content on I have a problem with the layers' position. When i have a layer at the right position in dreamweaver and a preview it in a browser the layer has moved a little down or up. It's really annoying(?) to check the page over and over again for each layer. Can anything be done about this?? I have my site online (http://planetfeyenoord.port5.com) and everything is fine in Internet Explorer, but when I use Netscape to view my site everything has moved again! Please help me, you guys must have had the same problem....

I have another problem with the page posted above. Netscape ( mine is communicator 4.03)doesn't show the iFrames I use in my site. On the page http://www.k10k.com they have an iFrame in IE and in Netscape and I'm just wondering, how should I do this??

Thanks A lot,

Paul.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone??

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be too impatient - I recommend waiting about 24 hours before asking again Of course if no one answers then it means none of us probably know........

Your layers aren't even showing up properly on my NS4.75 (particularly the IFRAME). Curious to know why you are using layers instead of using tables? (because older browsers won't see your layers at all)

As for k10k.com, they aren't using an IFRAME in Netscape for the scrollable content. They're using Dynamic HTML to create the effect (and does it superbly).
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you please tell me how to get things like the poll and links on the right plave using tables? I thought tables are only used to insert some letters and numbers, not whole pages...

And also, how can I get to http://www.k10k.com's Netscape source? I can't save the page like in IE, but I really want to know about their Netscape-iFrame done with DHTML.

BTW - I posted the 'anyone?' because in Europe, where I live, a whole night was between those posts, excuse me.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit tricky to explain how to use tables for your site, because it requires a lot of fiddling to ensure it's right and it's very hard to demonstrate graphically

Tables are actually used to help layout entire pages - the majority of sites on the Net rely on tables to set out the layout. For example, SitePoint does it, as does many other sites. Have a look at the source code.

As for the DHTML code, Netscape doesn't always display the full code, but it does correctly on my 4.75 - open the site up in Netscape, then right click on the 'scrollable layer' and choose 'View Frame Source' and you'll see plenty of JavaScript/Dynamic HTML.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay,

I know what the thing wis with tables now, but how should I get my page into a table. Imagine that I've just created my site in photoshop, what should I do next? Slice the images in Imageready, and create a table an put in each image step by step, or is there an easier way?

I use dreamweaver.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you create your site in Dreamweaver using layers .. you can convert the layers to tables when you are done designing the site.

This what I use to do .. until I found it easier just to start off with tables .. makes redesigning the site much easier.

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello
    I have the same problem of PaulDS, but I don't want to remove the layers. they are a dropdown list.
    Isn't there any solution. Should I give up?
    Life is bigger than you might think