SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I just came up with my first commercial website (personal ones before) and I would like to know what you think of thedesign, layout, browser compatibility or anything you would like to say about it. Thank you in advance.
    The address is http://souvenirs.terrashare.com
    Carolina

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two useablilty issues. The iframes are ok, but the last one with the picture of the shirt should not be scrolling, and the main one starts too far down the page. Consider shrinking the content you have before this frame so that it is displayed without having to scroll down to read it. The other problem that you are going to run into with iframes is that they are not supported by 4.0 browsers, which severely limits your audience. I could not navigate your page with Netscape 4.05 of IE 4.0. I would seriously consider a design with tables instead of the iframes, to broaden the horizons of accessibility. The pictures above and below the main iframe are not aligned properly, as when I view it without a iframe capable browser, they do not line up, side to side. And finally, the "stuck in someone elses frames" link is unnessary, especially at the top of the page, it just makes it harder to get to your content. This post is not a flame, hopefully you will reconsider some of your choices to better get the information to the viewer.
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good review above, I agree with everything s/he said, especially about moving the important elements up to the top and eliminating the wasted space.

1) Here is a piece of javascript I use that makes the "Stuck in someone's frames" unnecessary:

Code:
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    <!--

//break yerself outta frames!

var breakThis = "http://www.yoursite.com/indexforward.html";
    if (window != parent) parent.location.href = breakThis;

//-->
    </script>

2) My first impression of the site is that it is kind of sterile. There isn't a lot of personality built into the site. I would like to have an impression of the store owner.. is this a fun-loving site with whimsical gifts or is it a serious collector's souvenir store? Doing something graphical with the logo would go a long way in establishing an identity.

3) I really like how you get right down into the ordering process with one click. It's not buried-- one mouse click and bam you are on an order form.

4) I want to know something about the artists who are producing these items. I read through about us and about our products, but neither even mention where you get the artwork from. Give us some info, let us get attached to a certain person's style.

5) While "Cafe Press" may provide your cart and transactions, it sort of sounds to me like they are providing the whole mall and product line, you just put your own interface on it. While I don't mean that this is the case, without a clearer explanation of the artists or store owner, that is the impression the about sections leave.

6) I question the need for and viability of forums for a site like this. Without daily traffic, any forum will just languish on in obscurity. No one will be the first to post. Some new board owners fake traffic and registers to give the impression that the site is popular, but to what extent? Do you really expect it to be a hot bed of souvenir activity or is it mainly for customer support? Isn't support best handled privately?

7) When you click on a shirt for a larger image, this is one place I would use javascript pop up windows instead of linking in the same one. You can name it the same thing and give it focus each time the user clicks on a new item that way you don't pop up a dozen windows.

Take this as constructive criticism please! Nice job on the interface and site overall, it is easy to navigate and inviting to read and click.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I agree why is the shirt in a scroll bar???
    2) I would rather see a side menu bar because there is so much space from the top banner to the interface.

I would also add a logo or something to make it more professional.

Good luck with the site!

http://www.graphixland.com - Web Master Resources!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Well, it's criticism time.

By the way, I'm being intense and to the point about this (I'm low on time). I'm really not as mean as I sound.

First of all, I detest popups. It's just a personal bias.

Also, what was with your page refreshing through seven different pages before actually coming to your site? That's not good. It disorients users, etc., etc.

I agree with Overgrow. Take the "break free" link off your page. Do it automatically.

Whoa...major design flaw. The main content in your page should not be inside that little box. Users tend to not scroll past the first page. Put your important content at the top. Let the users see ALL of your content. Make the menu at the top and bottom of the page.

What's with the T-Shirt? At least take the scrollable part off it.

Also, everything is centered. How about switching the alignments, and using horizontal rules to connect the spaces? I drew a sketch out for your web site and it looked pretty snappy. Maybe i'll share with you soon. E-Mail me to discuss it. sean@interfall.com

That's all for now. Not a bad site, so to speak -- but you have your work cut out for ya.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I think your first change should be getting rid of the free
    host and securing your own domain name. In my opinion it's a
    must if you plan on venturing into e-commerce

KD

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A free host with an automatic popup is the single biggest creditability killer in the world of E.
    I can see why you thought showing your products in the little scrolling box would be neat but it doesn't really work. I want to see detailed pictures and descriptions of your products near the top of your index page. I don't want to have to go looking for them.
    I also agree with the comments about the forum. Who is going to use it?
    It's not a bad site but it could be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry that i can't review your site, but it won't even load.

Something is wrong with your script and the page reloads every half a second.

I only manage to see the top 10 pixels of the page.

If you can fix this somehow i will glady review your site.

Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    Good effort!

1. I think, 1st page is too simple.
    2. Need to make much more interesting,and eye-catching pcitures.