SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Php Books

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious of any good php books to get, I bought one and it was the worst reading material ever. Could someone point me in the right direction.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like Wrox books. They are releasing Professional PHP 4 in a few months. You can also buy Beggining PHP 4 (this book doesn't need you to know HTML) or Professional PHP Programming (recommended, even if you are a newbie ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by lfabbric
    I was curious of any good php books to get, I bought one and it was the worst reading material ever. Could someone point me in the right direction.
    What book is that? So I know not to recommend other people!

I use Wrox Prof. PHP very often and fine it's great. Also the online ref. http://www.php.net too
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought 2 of them now. Professional PHP programming (I love it soo much, it is perfect for the programmer) and then there is Core - something or other. This was the worst book ever.

It didn't go into programming at all, it was almost like a reference book about methods. The first few chapters started out fine, but the last whatever was like a manual.

ps: Dont buy it.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PGA I have those two Wrox books too, I also bought the ASP ones. Having never even heard of PHP before I bought the books I found them excellent for someone like me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

the Core PHP Programming was just about the first major book on php programming to hit the street. the current book is Relese 2, or something like that.

The author is Leon Atkinson. I bought the first book after hearing him speak and answering questions about programming and the techniques he uses.

I found the tutorial by Kevin to be more suitable for my immidiate needs than the book by Leon.

But I do use the Leon's book for information about font and graphics.

I bought the wrox book called beginning php4 and really love it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can speak for the quality of both of the WROX books. I personally learned PHP from "Professional PHP Programming", and did an in-depth review of it on http://www.webmasterbase.com (in the Reviews -> Books section).

As for "Beginning PHP4", well anyone who owns the book is invited to look at the credits page under "Technical Reviewers". Along with several other dedicated individuals, I reviewed all but two of the chapters of the book for technical correctness and general quality before it went to press. I have yet to see the finished product (WROX has been having trouble with their courier), but the draft chapters I reviewed were returned with my seal of approval.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool Kevin!

My advice is to read tutorials like Kevin's, or the ones at DevShed.com to get the basics down, and then go out and buy Professional PHP Programming. Beginning PHP4 may be better for beginners, but if you plan to *really* learn PHP, you'll probably outgrow it and end up spending another $40 on Professional PHP Programming.

It uses a lot of technical jargon, so reading a few tutorials first just to get a handle on the basic terms is recommended.

Good luck!