SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XML Configuration systems

After scouring around a bit and finding a few projects about this, I wanted to ask the boards this question.

Does anyone out there know of XML-based configuration projects I can look in on? The main feature I am looking for is commenting and categorizing of configuration options so its easier to document the various options for users. I know such a system type exists in vBulletin which is powered solely by a database, but thats copyrighted code and im looking for an XML solution instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here, thanks in advance to replies.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theiggsta
    After scouring around a bit and finding a few projects about this, I wanted to ask the boards this question.

Does anyone out there know of XML-based configuration projects I can look in on? The main feature I am looking for is commenting and categorizing of configuration options so its easier to document the various options for users. I know such a system type exists in vBulletin which is powered solely by a database, but thats copyrighted code and im looking for an XML solution instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here, thanks in advance to replies.
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but patConfiguration might do the trick. patConfiguration is a PHP-based tool designed, in the author's words, to "access XML-based configuration files via PHP" - you can check it out here:

Devshed has a good overview on how to use this:

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/Easy-...Configuration/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats precisely one of the systems I checked out, however it does'nt have option commenting. I am trying to make the configurations options as user-friendly as possible.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try PEAR::Config, it has support for XML, as well as other storage structures.

- prefab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about configuration commenting? They do allow commenting in ini files, but I guess not XML. I have been inspecting that system for a while now. No dice it seems.

I am specificly looking for configuration option grouping and commenting which allows me to create a friendly configuration interface. If there is'nt one I guess ill have to roll my own.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theiggsta
    What about configuration commenting? They do allow commenting in ini files, but I guess not XML. I have been inspecting that system for a while now. No dice it seems.
    I'm not quite sure, but as far as I know, comments xml comments can be written with the latest release.

- prefab