SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey gang..

I did a flash applet for a page but I was wondering, how would I be able to do it so that if users dont have flash, they would see a gif instead?

Heres the page..

http://www.playersonly.com/index_flash_test.html

The flash app is up top to the left.. and I have a gif that will be put there if the user doesnt have flash.. but how do I detect and replace?

I figure I need a detector js to find the plugin.. no problems there, its just the replace part that I am iffy on.

Does anybody know?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall Flash 3 and 4 both have an 'Export to GIF' function in the 'File' menu - you should check Flash's documentation for this feature (because it certainly exists). Flash will also write up the JScript for you should you choose the function.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your Flash app interactive? If it isn't you can just change the whole thing to GIF, just go to publish setting, uncheck swf and HTML and check GIF. Then just click Publish. If your Flash app was interactive just forget everything I said

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful if you do convert your animation to a GIF as file sizes can be huge and really not worth it for just an intro page!

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reccomend just to keep it as an swf and put a link to download the Flash player down the bottom. You will be surprised how many people will download it, it isn't a big file as it is only the viewer and not the program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone

I found a script that dynamically detects and inserts html into the place where the image was dynamically if the plug in isnt available.

Well.. its supposed to be just an image, but the way its set up it does html in its place too..