User Tag List

Thread: HTML Editor

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for a new HTML editor. I downloaded the Allaire HomeSite software yesterday, and I really like it so far, but when I have several other programs open, I get an annoying message telling me my system resources are low. Why? This is the first program I have encountered this problem with. I am used to multi-tasking and not too eager
    to change my ways. Often I need to have more than one program open as I am pulling data from multiple sources. Is this a bug? Is it something that can be fixed? Or will I have to look elsewhere for an HTML editor that doesn't eat up all of my system resources?

Thanks in advance.
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have the newest release of HomeSite (4.5.2) Homesite has always been a resource hog under Win 9x, but it's great under Windows 2000.

They added the ~resources low~ message in the newest release to give you a heads up as it's a common complaint. Before this, you wouldn't have a warning unless you either checked on your system resources, or if your system crashed.

Of course, it would have been nice if the resource issue was fixed instead.

Nonetheless, Homesite is my favorite editor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by spike
    Of course, it would have been nice if the resource issue was fixed instead.
    You could most likely fix this low resources/memory problem by buying addition RAM (Random Access Memory). It's as cheap as ever these days and it's rather simple to do. I recommend Crucial.com for all your needs. How much RAM do you currently have?
    <Edited by M. James on 01-11-2001 at 06:40 PM>

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Buy more RAM.

I however recommend pricewatch.com You tend to get it much cheaper there (as low as 30 cents a megabyte)

Chances are if your resources get low that easily than even if you just spend $30 on ram you'd more than double what you got now.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Like to use edit plus in combination with DW 3. I find this a pretty powerful combination...

If you are looking for an editor that doesn't eat up resources you might want to try out EditPlus 2. It is a very nice program, and I have never had any problems with 'low resources' when I use it.

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a WYSIWYG editor, then I'd recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver as it is the best one in it's class in my opinion. I believe you can download a trial at http://www.macromedia.com.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a plain text editor, then I'd recommend EditPlus as well. You can check out http://www.editplus.com for more info.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EditPlus, DW and HomeSite are all fine editors and well worth using.

That said, in order to use HomeSite without the annoying 'System Resources low' message, you should ideally have (at the very least) 64MB RAM.

As Spike said however, it works like a dream on Win2k.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The resource usage isn't a product of your system's RAM. Windows 9x has limitations in certain areas of resources (don't know all the technical details on it) HomeSite happens to use a lot of those Windows resources. I used HomeSite with 128 megs of RAM and still had the issues.

With Windows 2000, the memory usage is designed entirely different than 9x. So with W2k, the more system RAM, the better. If you upgrade to W2k, 128 megs is good unless you're running some heavy duty stuff...I hate to give Bill G. more money, but I haven't rebooted since I installed some software last Friday...

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike, it's weird, since my comp ran HomeSite fine even with 32 MB RAM (and this was on Win95)... I've upgraded to Win98 and 64 MB RAM and there isn't any real noticeable improvement in performance.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Windows 98 it seems to me that 64MB is barely adequate these days. That said, I suspect that some of those warnings you get with some applications have more to with things having some kind of mysterious (to me) conflicts with each other. After we upgraded to Office 2000 from 97 two applications that I used to run at the same time now won't do that any longer and I get a message saying that my system is too low on resources to run them both.(I have 128 MB of RAM). One of them is Fireworks. I can, however, run the other program together with Adobe Photoshop 5 and I doubt that Fireworks is a worse resource hog than Photoshop.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. My computer (both at home and at work) has 128MB RAM. Does processor speed impact system resources? At work I have a Pentium III 450 Mhz and at home Pentium II 350 Mhz.

I will check out Edit Plus.

Do you guys have suggestions for other good HTML editors? I've tried 1st Page (like it a lot but am looking for something new), Coffee Cup (only thing I use is Global Replace) and Hotdog (like HomeSite better).

Have a good day!
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arachnophilia was my first HTML editor....

But now I use Dreamweaver. Arachnophilia is still good though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 1st Page 2000, EditPad, and on occasion, Dreamweaver 3.0
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that many of you praise EDITPLUS as being a great text-based editor. for a few weeks now, i have been using NOTE TAB LIGHT. of all its cool features, i feel that its ability to open multiple files at once and find and replace across those multiple open files is the best thing i have ever come across. it comes in incredibly handy when altering many pages that contain the same code/script.

my question is this:
    after checking the EDITPLUS.COM site, i didnt read anything that mentioned a feature like that. Does EditPlus have multiple file capability?

by the way, this is the wrong forum for this but, can someone critique my site? the only Web Developers I know of are here and my friends aren't into it like i am.
    -----
    MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that many of you praise EDITPLUS as being a great text-based editor. for a few weeks now, i have been using NOTE TAB LIGHT. of all its cool features, i feel that its ability to open multiple files at once and find and replace across those multiple open files is the best thing i have ever come across. it comes in incredibly handy when altering many pages that contain the same code/script.

my question is this:
    after checking the EDITPLUS.COM site, i didnt read anything that mentioned a feature like that. Does EditPlus have multiple file capability?
    Yep, EditPlus 2 can do exactly that. You can have multiple files open at once, and replace something in all the ones open at once. Check out it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you very much.

no need to say anything further, it being downloaded.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike is right about win 9x, it just doesn't handle memory like win2k. And NEVER buy ram based on the lowest price. (Unless you enjoy blue screens)

I dual boot Win98se and Win2k. Win2k I use for web stuff and graphics and networking, it's a workhorse. I keep 98 for gaming and personal stuff.

It does sound like you could stand a little upgrade soon. A PIII 700 is about 140 dollars right now and should fit right in your current home system.
    Very serious newbie
    Spent all my money on applications and hardware and classes. So, I'm talking about the latest versions usually. Oh, and I'm not that bright....but I'm dedicated.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quake3Guy ... where did you find a p3 700 for 140 buck ?
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard good things about PriceWatch, but if I were to buy some new RAM for my computer, I'd likely get it from Crucial.com - a larger company, I believe. I could be wrong - but it appears that way.

The thing I like is that I can select my computer's exact, precise make and model number, and any RAM listed there is guarenteed to work with my computer.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy cheap ram and it works fine for me.

remember Pricewatch isn't a company. Its a site where 100's if not 1000's of dealers compete to offer the lowest price, prices like you'd get at computer shows.

See at computer shows and places like pricewatch you can get things for maybe only $2 over dealer cost, which means its cheap, they're selling it to you OEM, not retail, most ram is generic anyways and it doesn't matter.

But you could go and buy from like bestbuy or another online store and pay the %200+ markup to get it in a retail box. But you'll be able to buy twice as much of the same stuff if you don't.

and as for processors.

At a computer show this weekend Athlon Thunderbirds at 1Ghz sold for $209. You can find em at pricewatch for about $170

I also got a brand new 8x CD-R for $130 and 64mb pc100 sdram for $26
    <Edited by aspen on 01-13-2001 at 01:33 PM>
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums