SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vertical scrollers/content/scrollbars

I'm not sure if this question should be here, in the Javascript forum, or the search engine optimization one.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, but I hope you can help me.

I have a (fussy) client who wants keyword-rich text to run in a vertical scroller. My problem is that all the js scrollers I have found place the content in the <head>.

What does this mean for SE indexing? Does it make a difference?

Is there any way to keep the content inside my CSS layer and still have it scrolling?

He also wants scrollbars on the left of the layer. I currently have Overflow: auto; in the CSS and I would like to keep it that way. I think I have convinced him I am ergonomically more correct, but just in case, is there a simple way to do this in CSS?

Cheers,

Derek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct that having the text in the head tag is probably going to impress search engines less than having it appear (early on) in a paragraph tag in the body.

There are plenty of scrollers that put the text in the body (in a ScrollableArea div) - I think we used one here: http://www.droidlab.co.uk/work_brucol.html (although my browser won't view source at the moment, so I can't confirm 100%) - I can't remember where it came from, though.