SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printer-friendly web pages

Most designers design websites with specific screen resolutions in mind, but do they also design for printers? ie. so that the pages are print friendly?

I understand that you can make your website more printer friendly with CSS, controlling things like width, background colour, font, etc. CSS has its advantages because you can make just one page with one design, rather than a page and a print-friendly page, but of course it won't work on older browsers. But should web designers even be bothering with making sites printer-friendly, do you think? Afterall, a web site is meant for the web, no? But then there's the other argument that people sometimes prefer to read from a printed version... does it depend on the nature of the site and/or material as to whether it should be printer-friendly?

Aaron

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd say it does depend on the site in question. CSS should be the weapon of choice. failing that, a server-side script that strips unnecessary things like navigation etc (i.e. a single script that is passed your page's url, strips it, then displays it...as opposed to creating individual printer-friendly pages).
    i'd almost tend to say that printing is not the web designer's problem, but the end user's problem. if they use an older browser (heck, anything version 5 and above handles it fine), they should expect a bumpy ride...and they've been used to it for the past...what...6-7 years ?
    this reminds me of a debate i had with a work colleague not so long ago. she started arguing that we should offer both a colour and b/w printer friendly version..."you know, some people don't have colour printers, so we should ensure that it prints out nice on their printers". oh...gimme a kit-kat. sure, try to avoid things like very light/dark text on very light/dark background, ensure sufficient contrast is there (which should be done anyway for accessibility's sake), but don't start patronising your users...</rant>
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to just copy the text and only print the text
    Promotional Products Marketing
    Buy Discounted Promotional Products Online

SitePoint Enthusiast profreshnal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really thought much of printing webpages, but now I'm working a pages with a flow chart and I want it to be printer friendly.
    Do you guys know of anyway that I could make the page printer friendly.
    Or I guess, more importantly, when there is a link that says printer friendly version, is it just another web that is set up differently so that is can be printed onto one page?
    Also, is there a script, that would allow the user to press a button called print, and then it the page be printed?
    Justin
    -sometimes i feel like an endless loop...

SitePoint Enthusiast profreshnal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still curious to how to create a printer friendly page, without resizing a large image.

But I did find how to make a button that will cause the page to print if anyone is interested:
    Code:
    <!-- Print using Text Link -->
    <a href="javascript:void(window.print())">Print this Page</a></p>

<!-- Print using Button -->
    <form>
      <input type="button" value="Print Page" name="PrintBtn" onClick="window.print()">
    </form>
    Hope it helps someone.
    Justin
    -sometimes i feel like an endless loop...

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new wiki has been set up by a member of the CSS mailing list - see http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=PrintStylesheets
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iff Your Gonna Want to print webpages, i normally use the stripimage , in php, works quite well