SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

System Configuration Utility cleanup

I was checking my startup items (run --> msconfig --> startup) and noticed the 'cleanup' button for the first time. There are some entries from uninstalled programs there that are no longer needed and should be removed. Is this the best way to do it and is it really a 'safe' way to clean things up? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing Windows Me? If so then yes. Just make sure you know what it is you are removing. If in doubt, just deselect the item, and run in selective startup mode for a while to make sure nothing funny is going on.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keriam
    I'm guessing Windows Me? If so then yes. Just make sure you know what it is you are removing. If in doubt, just deselect the item, and run in selective startup mode for a while to make sure nothing funny is going on.
    Yes, Win Me. Will it show a list and allow me to review it or just clean everything . . . that is kinda scary to think about! I have tweaked it before so it always starts in selective startup mode. I guess there's always System Restore!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All clean up does in msconfig is to remove unchecked items from the startup list so you can return to a normal startup mode.

The reason I said to use caution was, for example, if you removed something and you didn't know what it did, you might render your antivirus software ineffective. Generally it is not a big deal, more of a pain, because you might have to re-install something to get it back.

Win Me is notorious for adding duplicate lines in startup. You can safely remove the 2nd or 3rd duped line of whatever it happens to be. The dupes do not hurt anything but they do slow down the bootup process.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do
    the day after tomorrow. ~ Mark Twain