SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a style sheet automatically change by season/date

Does anyone know a javascript or other way to have your style sheets change automatically upon a certain date or season.

I've seen "switchers" that work with manual buttons, and I've seen scripts that can change page backgrounds based on months or seasons, but I cannot find a way to do style sheets automatically.

WARNING: I'm not a javascript writer/developer. My forte lies in HTML and CSS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a good solution would be do use server-side code to do this. Either ASP or PHP could easily evaluate the date and dish out the desired stylesheet.

Is your server running ASP or PHP?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

As craigv said serverside is more reliable, however you could try something like this.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> 
    <html> 
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <script type="text/javascript"> 
    <!-- 
    today = new Date(); 
    month = today.getMonth(); 
    armonth = new Array("january.css", "february.css", "march.css", "april.css", "may.css", "june.css", "july.css","august.css", "september.css", "october.css", "november.css", "december.css"); 
    alert (armonth[month]);
    document.write("<link href=" + armonth[month] + " rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' />"); 
    //--> 
    </script>
    </head> 
    <body> 
    </body> 
    </html>
    I'll admit now that I'm rubbish at javascript but this seems to work. (No doubt everyone will tell me why it shouldn't or doesn't work.)

Obviously you will need a noscript tag for for those that don't understand javascript or perhaps a default stylesheet that can be overwritten.

I'm not sure the above will be a very friendly way to do it. I suppose you could use one of the proper javascript styleswitchers and just bolt the month thing on to it. So instead of being selected by a user as per a normal javascript changer the routine just passes the month across automatically.

I'm getting out of my depth now so I'll stop (I'm strictly a CSS man).

Paul