SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I designed this site for my sister - an artist.

My main criteria:
    a. ease of use
    b. no distraction from the art work
    c. no 'cookie-cutter' look

Have I met the criteria?

Thanks for all comments.

http://seongallery.com

Melody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you met the criteria established.

I want to mention a few other things I like.

I like the bg, it is not the one I would have chosen but it works wonderfully for the works shown here. My choice would have been an off white, but that would have clashed with (blended into and totally trashed) the art.

I like the choice of font color. Perfect for the bg.

I like the consistent design. From start to stop, the viewer will know they are still on your pages.

I like the choice of thickness and length of the hr. On the Show pages if it were shorter it would lose effectiveness and if it were longer it would isolate the events.

Of course there are a few suggestion:

1. If the shows have a page that the link be exchanged and the show become a hot link.

2. I printed an order form and the width is perfect on my little 550c, the length is great and then it did a second page to print the home button. Might check that.

One more "agree" I do not see any reason to provide the menu on each page. An art site does not need the reminder that there is a quick exit nearby. Esp with this art.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello,

i expected this to take an age to download being a picture heavy site but i was pleasently surprised,

BROWN mmm am sure its the best colour to use but thats just, my opion it seems to make the page look quite dull

why dont you put a backgrong image in , something to live it up a bit,

is the popup box really nessecalry (spelt wrong)needed its obvious the images are still loading.

overall thought you've acheived what you set out to acheive.
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to visit.

Ed: I thought I had taken care of that order form...thanks for the heads up. I will also look into linking back to the sites of sponsoring art shows.

Andysan: I think a background image would detract from the art work. Your comment about the popup window message while loading is under consideration....thanks.

Melody

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design. The design is not incredibly beautiful or cool, but it does what it was designed to do.

As with all websites, the content and the presentation of the content are the two most important aspects of webdesign. The site is very good in that regard.

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things:

I do not think you need the popup saying the images are loading. I think people will realize that anyways.

You might consider adding a border around the pictures so they stick out a little bit more.

You should really not have a hotmail address used on the professional site. If you really want to us it have the normal email address forward to the hotmail address.

I like the overall look, easy on the eyes.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I thought would be nice was if I could read what your sister thought when she painted the paintings. What was she inspired by? And perhaps a feature where your visitors can submit their own thoughts as to how it makes them feel, what appeals to them, etc?

/Anders

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the colors, they look good together. The text stands out. Nice work of graphics, simple yet elegant.

Nice organization of materials, the front page starts you off on the right track. Its clear that the artwork itself is teh focus of attention. Somewhat easy to navigate, thought you might want to link to the other galleries directly.

I see how your goal is to have a simplistic design, you hit your mark on that.

One little suggesion. On you links such as "About the Artist" and "Future shows" and so on, I'm also make the text linkable, rather than having the small button beside it a link. Because right now you can over accross it and not even realize that it is supposed to go someplace. So it might make it easier on nagigation if you did that.

Overall, looks great
    Frank L.
    Owner / Editor In Chief, Nintensity
    frank@nintensity.com

"In society, you can have sex for free, or you can have sex for money. The difference is that sex for free will cost more."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    webmasterlane.com: I agree with your point about the popup message for loading. I've removed it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Anders: That's an interesting concept. Not one that I've ever seen myself. I'm always looking for ways to make it unique. I'll share that thought. Thanks for the insight.

Frank: Thanks for your comments. I think your point about the text links is a good one. I didn't want the text to be underlined so I only linked the buttons. I think there's a way to remove the underline from text links but I don't remember where I saw it.

Does anyone know?

Melody

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MSeon
    Frank: Thanks for your comments. I think your point about the text links is a good one. I didn't want the text to be underlined so I only linked the buttons. I think there's a way to remove the underline from text links but I don't remember where I saw it.

Does anyone know?
    Put this code inbetween <head> and </head>

<STYLE TYPE-"type/css">
    <!--
    A:link {text-decoration: none}
    A:visited {text-decoration: none}
    -->
    </STYLE>

That should do it.

<Edited by Nintensity on 01-15-2001 at 03:00 PM>
    Frank L.
    Owner / Editor In Chief, Nintensity
    frank@nintensity.com

"In society, you can have sex for free, or you can have sex for money. The difference is that sex for free will cost more."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - viewed in IE 4, on a PC platform at 1024x768 over a DSL line.

As to making text linkable without underlining it, you just need to add some CSS. In your <A> tag, include the following:

style="text-decoration: none;"

This may not be compatible with all browsers, but I do think it is pretty widely used.

We had the conversation in another review about background colors for artwork. Normally, off-white is the color of choice for displaying artwork. If you don't want to put borders on the work, then that isn't practical here (as stated above), but I personally feel the brown is a little too dark. I'd prefer to see it a shade or two lighter, but then you might have to redo the text color, horizontal rules, etc. so . . . . On most of the works, it's not a problem, but I do feel that the top two images on the home/gallery page are a little overpowered by the background.

It is fairly easy to navigate, although my initial reaction was always to look for a navbar with the same 5 buttons as the one on your home page. I think it would be useful to repeat that on at least the "About the Artist", "Future Shows" and "Price List" pages, adding a button for the home/gallery page, that way, visitors don't have to return to the previous page in order to get from page to page.

I like the idea Anders suggested. Although you have a basic statement about the body of work, it would be nice to know more about the ideas, thoughts, feelings and even processes that went into the individual works. This is a frequest feature at shows/exhibits and even some on-line galleries featuring working artists. And giving visitors a place to express their own thoughts/feelings, etc. could help create that community feel that will keep people coming back to the site (whether or not it will help generate sales, I don't know).

Overall it is a nice, classy site. The design generally does not conflict with or overpower the images themselves. Displayed well and, except when loading larger views of a few of the works, quickly. Good job!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I finished my post, saw that Frank had replied to your link question, but I believe he gave the code for making links underline.

If you don't want specific links to underline (which is how I took your comment), include the code I gave in my last post in each <A> tag you don't want to underline.

If you don't want any links to underline, stick it in the header, as Frank suggested, just replace "text-decoration: underline" with "text-decoration: none".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank: The code works perfectly. Together with the additional info that Sahar provided, I can cover all bases. Thanks a ton.

Sahar: I see your point about the background color. The final choice was made in order to complement most, if not all, of the paintings. Perhaps some rearranging is in order down the road. It's interesting to receive another comment regarding some background information on each painting. I definitely plan to discuss this with the owner.

Thanks again,

Melody

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on great site. it does what its sopposed to do, not less, not more- that is very important.
    I caught a very minor bug...
    On every page, there's a circlular image by every link. The image itself and the text are both clickable, BUT "return" isnt.
    eg http://seongallery.com/bio.html
    http://seongallery.com/shows.html
    only the image is the link, the text 'return' isnt clickable, i think it should be.
    thats all i could find! stop making fun of me...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, found the background color overwhelming to the art, as well as the yellow font color. Perhaps that's just my taste in colors. I like the color combination that you have in the header images as opposed to the stark contrast you have in the text sections.

I disagree that it isn't necessary to provide navigation on all the pages. Why make your visitors go all the way back to the beginning to get to the order page or to be able to email you? Even if you were to put it in small links at the bottom of each page, it would be better than making them jump back and forth through your site.

Also, I like that your order page is white instead of the background color of the rest of the site; it sets it off and establishes the fact that it is an order page. It does, however, look a little cut/pasted. I would suggest that you create a background image with a strip of the background color running across the top, behind the header image and white for the rest of the page. You could also put a strip across the bottom to house the Home image, although it would probably look just as good to make that a smaller button.

Please tell your sister that I think her art is incredible!

Kell
    Lighthouse Design Group
    Better Websites...By Design

www.lighthousedesign.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Igor@af:
    Thanks for visiting and for bringing that bug to my attention. I have remedied it.

Kell:
    Thanks for your comments. At this point, it seems I have a 'love it or hate it' color combination. Your points about the navigation on each page, and the 'cut and paste' appearance of the order form are well taken. You're the first to comment on the artwork itself. On behalf of my sister, thanks for the compliment. I'll pass it on.

Melody

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks great and I like the bg color. On the full size images, you might want to check with your sister to see if there's a color bleed. Most of the galleries I've seen use a black(for light images) or white(for darker ones) bg for the full image since they don't bleed and in a solid field offer an emotional nuetral. Not really a design aspect but rather a matter of artistic taste. A child window set to the image size is also another option.

Aepic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is a bit 'skinny' try adding something around the content. And you should get rid of that 'dropshadow' (it looks more like a glow )
    Founder of ArtBeast!
    And graphics designer guy of vBulletin.