SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... if you used percentages instead of pixels, you can achieve the same effect, although you lose your fixed width layout (if that is what you want).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried percentage widths, but the menu bar stuffs it up and I can't make the header and content the same width as the menu bar...the menu bar is always about 10px shorter than the other two.
    Alex Graham
    Cadmium Design & Development
    www.cadmium.com.au
    alexandra@cadmium.com.au

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gap:
    This is due to fun stuff involving floats. When an object is floated, it should be removed from the page flow, as far as layout it concerned (IE doesn't do this right). Since all the <li>s are floated, the <ul> is ending up with a computed height of zero, as far as moz is concerned. Somehow, the nav bar is ending up with a definite height (the whitespace?)

Anyhow, since #introduction is also floated, it just butts up against the floated <li>s. I's being pushed down by *something* font-size dependent, which means that some of us end up with a gap. I'd recommend breaking out Mozilla's DOM inspector to try and figure out exactly what's going on.

For me, adding a simple margin-top: 3px; to #introduction fixes things, though it all falls apart again if you resize text to be "read from across the room"

Centering/Negative margins:
    I was going to suggest you use margin: auto, but you already changed it to do so. Looks fine here.