SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy textarea muzing!!!

I have a textarea field in my form, I set cols=60 and rows=20 but I am unable to submit a large number of characters. I keep clicking on the submit button but nothing happens. I read somewhere that the cols and rows indicate automatically how many characters will be allowed. In the above examples it would be 60*20=1200 characters. So I made sure the text is 1000 characters, but still it wouldn't take it. When I cut it down to a small paragraph or two (say 200 characters or so) it takes it just fine. I am aware that textarea doesn't support maxlength or something like that.. So has anybody seen the problem I am seeing? can you help?
    I appreciate the help of everyone at SitePoint.com

SitePoint Zealot CatsEyeDesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say "nothing happens" you mean nothing at all? It doesn't give you an error message or just improperly handle the input text? That's kinda weird.

One thing, are you using the form method get or post? I seem to remember reading something about maximum query string lenths. If you're using the get method, the entire contents of the form data is passed via a query string (with a ? in the url) and could cause problems.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else knows the answer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatsEyeDesigns
    When you say "nothing happens" you mean nothing at all? It doesn't give you an error message or just improperly handle the input text? That's kinda weird.

One thing, are you using the form method get or post? I seem to remember reading something about maximum query string lenths. If you're using the get method, the entire contents of the form data is passed via a query string (with a ? in the url) and could cause problems.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe someone else knows the answer?
    Actually you've been helpful. I was using GET. I changed it to POST and now it works, at least when I click submit, the form gets submitted graciousely. Before, absolutely nothing will happen if the text is very long.
    I appreciate the help of everyone at SitePoint.com

SitePoint Zealot CatsEyeDesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of after the event, but you might like to know that the maximum length of the querystring is 1,024 characters (including the URL and any other things you are passing to the page) - therefore, your textarea length was probably limited to around 900 characters.