SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Digital cameras

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am Digital Media Design student and since we are often encouraged at school to collect found foutage, and because many school- and job assignments require photographic imagery, I am considering buying a digital camera. I can borrow Sony Mavica's at school for 3 days max. but I am really looking for a better camera that will last for many years. I saw the Sony Cybershot DSC-F505 and was quite impressed (video & photo / hi-res / TV out / etc.) but the price tag really got me scared. I am wondering if any of you have experience with digital photocameras too. Would the Cybershot be a good choice? Do you know similar devices by other manufacturers that are as feature-rich as this one? Please let me know!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a digital camera is well worth it! However, one that takes BOTH stills and video is going to set you back quite a lot of money. If you ar eon a budget I suggest you get a decent digital camera for stills and then borrow one for video. I just got the FUJI 1400 with 20MB memory and i fully reccommend it. The pictures are fantastic and downloading them is fast and easy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A digital video camera is at least 800 dollars. (At least for a good one). With that you can take still pictures too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lot of money for a student though isn't it? You can get a digicam for stills for about half that price!

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intel has a pretty nice video cam which you can take anywhere and have like 128 pictures I believe for $130.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a DSC-F505V and it blows away every other consumer digital camera I've seen or used. The quality is great, and it's easy to use.

If you have the money and can get the 128meg memory sticks, you can shoot about 35-50 2240x1680 images, or around 500-800 640x480!

You just plug the camera into your USB port on your computer and the camera shows up as a drive. You can then copy the images onto you hard dive. With a 128meg memory stick it takes from 3-5 minutes to move all the images. (That's more data than fits on a standard 100meg Zip!)

On the down sides, you cannot live with the 8meg memory stick that comes with the camera, unless you are taking only low res photos.

The camera and the memory sticks can get expensive, which I guess is your concern, but it is a wonderful camera.

If you have any questions or would like to see some sample photos let me know.
    --Daniel
    Fan of PHP, Photoshop, and Macs
    Andrew's Cars - My little brother's cars for Need for Speed 3

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. MAC, I'm wondering, does the DSC-F505V have a 15 second or 60 second limit on mpeg video, or is the only limit the amount of memory you have? 15 seconds of video doesn't seem worth the extra money...

Although I am a student I do make some money with the websites I have, mind you Though I'd be lying if I said this isn't a huge investement. However, I am looking for a digicam that I can use for at least the next, say, 8 years. So compatibility is very important too.

I heard about Sony's memory sticks and the adapters that come with it. That's very nifty. I didn't know it also had a USB port, which must be very very handy as well!

I'll look into the FUJI model. Also, does anyone know about the Nikon Coolpix series? Someone mentioned that to me as well.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky we have the same camera!

I also highly recommend FUJI 1400. Its absolutely amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the DSC-F505V does have a 15 second limit on the digital video. However, we orginaly purchased it for the picture quality and the zoom lense, both of which were better than expected, so the 15 second limit does not matter to us .

I made a mistake in the last post: "around 500-800 640x480 on a 128meg memory stick" It's more like 1800+ photos! Last night we used it in low res mode for the first time and on the 8meg stick that came with the camera, took 120 640x480s!

Along with the new Epson Stylus 980 printer, which is incredible, this camera has almost replaced film for us.
    --Daniel
    Fan of PHP, Photoshop, and Macs
    Andrew's Cars - My little brother's cars for Need for Speed 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad someone else agrees with me, and for the price i am absolutely astounded at the quality of the images. Plus, I dropped mine down a wall and a flight of stone steps about 3 days after I got it and it still works!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's why I bought a case to carry it in. I'm prone to dropping cameras down steps too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 2 cases. I got a plain simple one whcih fits it snugly and then fits in my handbag, and a nice bigger leather one iwth pockets and a strap in case I want to carry other things with me. I also got 8 rechargable batteries which last for ages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a cool camera:

- digital camera
    - portable video camera (10 seconds)
    - spy camera - motion detector then silent photo
    - infrared camera / video camera (for night shots - in the dark)
    - night spy camera
    - video confrencing
    - Yahoo! brand

--> and only $7.99! (89% off list price)

http://www.etoys.com/prod/toy/52942661

Of course, the quality isn't great, but at $12 with shipping and tax, it's a good steal.

Oh. Did you want high quality? (it's something like 320x200) Still it would make a good present.

<grin>
    Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. and the comments on the etoys page are really funny. They alternate between this is the best ever and this is the worst ever.

Owen

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might be a cute present. Something you can prank around with too

However eToys says that "The products you're looking for are no longer available."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think video digital cameras still have a ways to go. I mean, you can get a video/still camera for over $1000 easily, but, I think you need a couple hundred megs to a few gigs for some real video.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, that's why I bought a still digital camera. Whenever I want video I use my video camera and then use the video capture card to convert into MPEG.