SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to figure out a way to ensure that when a user visits my site, they will be presented with a terms and conditions document.

I first thought of putting a large font link to it on my index page along with a fine print link at the bottom of each page. But its very important that the new visitors read the terms and services agreement so as to cover my rear.

So I decided that a popup window similar to the one here on sitepoint when first visiting the site...
    That combined with the small font link at the bottom of each page would ensure that each visitor was prompted with the terms of service agreement (at least once heh).

How can i present this popup window to each and every new visitor, but not pest the regular visitors with it each time they come?

I have never made or worked with cookies...
    is it something that requires PHP knowledge?
    Can this be done with Javascript?

Any information to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well whilst most people have cookies, not all do but anyway, you can do cookies with javascript, heres a few bits of code to play with http://wsabstract.com/script/cutindex7.shtml

cookies are easier in PHP but only if you have PHP, not sure if you have or have not?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my host has php but ive never really worked with it. Its my next task and im just looking for the time to get into it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would this task be best handled by Javascript?
    If someone visited my site with their javascript unabled, they wouldnt be presented witht he ToS right?