SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looking for some advice from the linux gurus out there. I'm thinking of getting a Intel Pentium III 550 Xeon computer with 128 megs of mem, 30 gig hard drive, 3com NIC, and other basics and setting up linux, apache, php, and MySQL on it. Now I was thinking of Redhat 6.2, but I've heard some good things about Caldera's eServer version. The site will be remote administors, will have about 10 domains on it. The busiest site right now is about 1000 visits a day, but I'm hoping to change that.

Whats everyones opion on what distro I should run.

Also what programs does everyone use to create their pages in with Linux?

Thanks for any help.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother with a Xeon 550 when you can get a far faster processor for less money which will provide more preformance (Unless of course you already have the Xeon).

Most web servers run RedHat, at the moment the average is version 6.2 but I'm sure v7.0 will gain quickly once it has been tested to the extreme. SuSE is a good option I am told for web hosting and servers.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think going with Red Hat Linux and Apache is a good combination. But is there any reason why you'd go with version 6.2 of Red Hat instead of version 7? Version 7 is more stable and includes a variety of upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 550 is in a system that someone I know is selling. I might not go with it, he wants $800 for the complete system. I might be able to get a better one for that. I'm not sure what motherboard and other stuff he has in it though.

I have heard of some problems with redhat 7.0 with the gclibb I think. I might wait till the update 7.0 then use that. I'm running 6.2 at home and have no problems with it and I'm been learning PHP and the web server side of linux with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about suse? its being used much more frequently for webhosting and if you dont want to go for 7, 6.4 would do the job pretty well.

ps. IMHO i consider $800 a bit of a rip off! of course that depends on the details...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well looking on pricewatch.com for xeon chips, 400's are about $50, but 550's where about $250. I found a board made by intel that will do quad xeon 400's for only about $200. Since a lot of people I'ved talked said a 550 is over kill I might go down to 400s, get more onboard cache, atleast 1 meg maybe 2 meg on the chip, and try and get more memory.

Would that make since?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running Suse 7.0 and love it, It's easy to use .. and there seems to be alot of documentation on it. OR atleast the documentation works on it!

Chuck

"Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why Linux? I recommend FreeBSD. Since you most likely have a dedicated connection, you can download it for free with all the goodies including TONS and TONS of server software like Apache, mySQL, Perl 5, FTP, etc... It is very, very stable, someone I know had it running a DNS server for over 9 months until the hardware crashed. If you don't want to deal with downloading, etc... You can contact me about burning a CD of 4.0 for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking on linux because I have the most experiance with it. To be honest I've never tried FreeBSD. I think I had downloaded it once, but lost the cd.

I may look into it though. I don't plan on having the system for about a month or so, got to figure out how much everything is going to cost. Once I do get the system I plan on testing it for another month or so before I do the switch.

Could you send me some good links for using FreeBSD as a web server? Hopefully tomorrow I will try and do some research on it. Also, how much like linux is FreeBSD? Commands the same?