SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Pricing Content

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I've been thinking about selling my site's gaming content to larger portal sites here in Australia. For example, the customer might want to add a gaming channel to it's expanding web portal. I could create for them a gaming channel with their own logo and site design on every page, but my games content, with no mention of my site anywhere.

The question is, as a provider of the content, how much should I be charging the larger portal? Since the fully-branded site would still need to be stored on my server, the bandwidth costs go back to me, so a set rate per page-view may be needed.

Or there is the option of offering it free and adding my own banners instead.

Andrew.
    http://www.mammoth.com.au/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on both the amount of content and the site itself - mainly the site's traffic.
    I would probably charge by the Gb of bandwith - work out how much a Gb of bandwith would cost you, then work out how long you spent on the content. So add togethor whatever the bandwith costs you, something for the time spent, and then a profit on top.

Not sure of an exact cost because that depends on how much content you can give. But give us an idea of how much there is and maybe I can work out a figure.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi James,

If I was to go though with distributing content I would probably have to double the content currently offered. There are around 50 games indexed at the moment, so all-up we would have 100 games in the database ready to go. Each game has 4 subpages with releated links. Each game also has 4 full-sized screenshots. So 800 pages of content ready straight up, with more added each day. This does not include the 30-odd reviews or short news articles.

Doing all this would certainly require a dedicated server, and Rackspace.com offer something around $3 per extra gig. So maybe charge $10-$15 per gig from the other websites?

Andrew.
    http://www.mammoth.com.au/
    <Edited by insomniac on 01-08-2001 at 12:00 PM>