Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Technology
    Ericcson? Nokia? Philips? ...

Anyway if you want technology go to Japan

2. Making Beverages (including red & white wine according to an international taste test.)
    LOL! Best whine is made in France. No doubt about that. I haven't even heard of US wine.... BTW, the Coke rocks yeah, but wait till youtaste some Belgian beer.. Any of that beats the flaw taste of Budweiser.

3. Making food
    LOL! You eat Pizza and Pasta. All italian. You eat hamburgers, which are just some sandwiches and meat. I invite you in a Belgian restaurant (my dad has complained so much about American food (he was in different parts of the US for 3 months).

4. Inventing things (submarine, silicon computer chip, telephone, car, plane, cd/dvd/etc, need I say more?)
    lol! Most important things were invented before the US even exsisted... (wheel,...)

5. Making money (I'm pretty sure the top 5 richest people are ALL in the United States)
    Bill Gates, ... . Are the richest, but look at how dependant they are... Once their company goes down (like MS at the trial) he looses almost half his wealth. While rich people in Europe have wealth like ground, houses,... ANyway the social difference is much smaller in Europe compared to the US

6. Defending ourselves in war.
    lol! killing people you mean. We can defend ourselves without US help. Never forget our army is much better trained and costs less money.

7. Need I say more?
    lol!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are all the good cars from? Italy, Germany, Japan? Yanks, aussies and poms couldn't make a good car if it got shoved in their face.
    What ever happend to Jaguar (I know they are owned by Ford now), Lotus, TVR, Aston Martin - All made in the UK.

This topic will never be resolved as there wil always be at least one person who can't bare to see any alternative views of the world other than their own.

As for American been unsafe, it can't be that unsafe and the parts that are, are making improvements all the time e.g. 10 Years ago New York was the most unsafe city in the world, now it is the safest large city in the states.

I like both America and Europe, America has lots of Technology (So does the rest of the world - it's just cheaper in America) and Europe has embeded culture and facinating history.

CJ I must say you made some pretty good points back there.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you forget America isnt a "real" country your all made up off other nationalities it started off as europeans and then the rest of the world. Europe made America what it is if you want to start thinking the way you think of america then you have to put europe into a whole and take away all our national identitys like i dont know the difference between states over there your all the same all i know is that a lot are meant to be obese. there are no more real american companys any large multi national is on the stock market meaning it is a international company they depend on other markets look at that taco bell or whatever its called never seen it in my life not sure if they are in other countrys but i dont think they are you could say maybe thats an american country that makes this food you are so proud of oh wait taco's come from mexico right? nearly every country in europe has some food or drink they are famous for but not america its only a few hundred years old it has no real history your battle for independence is all you have but if you want to call that history look at the country im in 600 years of war's, landlord killings and so on like since ive started history in school (age 5) up until now (17) we are still learning this history and will continue until im finished in school u named like 7 inventions to even think that america invented everything good just by saying them is stupid lots of maths formulas and inventions were made over in europe and who made the statue of liberty?
    <Edited by sbdi on 01-08-2001 at 07:47 AM>
    Back Again

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, when I was my mom was pickpocked twice and we were stalked in the subway in Rome -
    Yes, I actually believe I saw a report that said Rome had the most street crime of any city in the world. As far as pickpocketing, that also happened to me aunt and uncle on the Paris Metro when we went with them to Europe.

6. Defending ourselves in war.
    lol! killing people you mean. We can defend ourselves without US help. Never forget our army is much better trained and costs less money.
    This is just plain false. I won't disagree if you say that Europe has more culture, more history. If Europeans are more laid back, not so uptight. But the US Army is the best most sophisticated army in the world. I don't know any exact figures so I can't comment on cost but you may think we spend a majority of our budget on military. This couldn't be more wrong. Most of our money is spent on social security, which is a system where retired people can get money so that they don't have to work anymore. Then we spend alot on health care so that less fortunate people can afford it, and welfare so that less fortunate people can survive. Military is but a sliver on the pie chart that makes up the US budget. But also remember this. We have near 300 million people in the US. So whatever you spend on your military its only logical we would spend 4x as much.

As for Guns. I like Guns. I own Guns. I shoot Guns. I've hunted, but I really just like target shooting. I also like knives, especially fantasy knives. I have some nice daggers, swords, a high quality razor sharp throwing star, axe, all sorts of weapons.

I've never hurt anyone with them, I've never been shot at, or beat up.

If you've never been to the US, don't think you can make comments by what you see on TV. Because you can't. Just like the people who haven't been to Europe shouldn't make comments that way.

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. Inventing things (submarine, silicon computer chip, telephone, car, plane, cd/dvd/etc, need I say more?)
    lol! Most important things were invented before the US even exsisted... (wheel,...)
    So it was an insightful European that invented the wheel?

Really, useful things have been invented on both sides of the Atlantic, and the Pacific.

5. Making money (I'm pretty sure the top 5 richest people are ALL in the United States)
    Bill Gates, ... . Are the richest, but look at how dependant they are... Once their company goes down (like MS at the trial) he looses almost half his wealth. While rich people in Europe have wealth like ground, houses,... ANyway the social difference is much smaller in Europe compared to the US
    Here you're also very wrong.

MS stock actually went up during the trial. And even though Bill did lose 30% of his wealth the last 2 years he still is the richest by far.

You see rich americans are self made, they grew up average, middle class, and invented something and made billions off it.

Your rich europeans, with land and houses, aren't self made. They've had their money handed to them by their parents, just like their parents had it handed to them. Their family has been rich for generations and generations.

Because of this there is a much much much larger social difference in Europe than in the US.

You have a more firmly etched class system than we do. While in Europe your upperclass may never consort with someone of a working class. In the US our super rich will have parents who are working class, will marry someone working class, socially their money isn't an issue.

And if you think Europe has no poor people, thats wrong too. I've been to Europe, and I saw just as many homeless as there is in America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most rich people in Europe are rich because they earned it, same as in the US. There's also people with inherited wealth on both sides of the Atlantic, but you don't see them becoming heads of state over here...

Why don't we all admit it? Europe, North America, Mars, whatever, they are all the best to each of us because they are home

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sbdi
    you forget America isnt a &quot;real&quot; country your all made up off other nationalities it started off as europeans and then the rest of the world]
    Europe's people was made up of Africans. They were first. Are they now the only people and isAfrica now the only country?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a ridiculous thread to start. Bummish appears to have done it with the sole intention of sparking up anti-American feeling. Your behaviour, Bummish, is typical of why American's are so disliked across the world (not everyone of course, but there is undeniably a global anti-American feeling, some of it friendly, as in the UK, some of it less friendly, as in France, and some of it simply hostile, as in the Middle East). You are the sole remaining superpower, yes, granted, but so what? It won't endear the US to the rest of the world by going on about it.

I'm not going to start debating your question. Everyone here knows my views on gun legislation, and, if you go over to MovieForums.com my views on the military. The fact that most people have argued against you, from both sides of the Atlantic, and you even got your facts wrong, is a comment both on your stupidity, and on the high intelligence of the SPF community.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sbdi
    you forget America isnt a &quot;real&quot; country your all made up off other nationalities it started off as europeans and then the rest of the world. Europe made America what it is if you want to start thinking the way you think of america then you have to put europe into a whole and take away all our national identitys like i dont know the difference between states over there your all the same all i know is that a lot are meant to be obese. there are no more real american companys any large multi national is on the stock market meaning it is a international company they depend on other markets look at that taco bell or whatever its called never seen it in my life not sure if they are in other countrys but i dont think they are you could say maybe thats an american country that makes this food you are so proud of oh wait taco's come from mexico right? nearly every country in europe has some food or drink they are famous for but not america its only a few hundred years old it has no real history your battle for independence is all you have but if you want to call that history look at the country im in 600 years of war's, landlord killings and so on like since ive started history in school (age 5) up until now (17) we are still learning this history and will continue until im finished in school u named like 7 inventions to even think that america invented everything good just by saying them is stupid lots of maths formulas and inventions were made over in europe and who made the statue of liberty?
    &lt;Edited by sbdi on 01-08-2001 at 07:47 AM&gt;
    So we're not a real country because we've managed to take people of all these different nationalities and ethnic backrounds and live? Would it have been better if we went the traditional European route and started a war over it? Ethnic Cleansing? Come on.

You can argue all you want that Europe gave us everything we are, and you'd be right. European's gave us everything. War, Slavery, Greed. Everything.

So that arguement is really stupid. No one disputes that Europe colonized North America. Trying to call us a false country because of that is just ignorant.

As for the big invention/corporation battle.

You think that the Volkswagon my mom drives was built in Europe? Sure its a european company but that car was built in the US. And how about the Suzuki my friend has? And then alot of parts for US cars are made in mexico. And sure lots of inventors were european, but they were living in the US at the time. So those arguements are just silly, and will go around again and again. That anyone is claiming these huge multi-national corporations is an exercise in futility. Multi-National means they exist in multiple nations. Even if they were started in one, they can be claimed by many now.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fortunate enough to have seen both Europe and America.

I say fortunate because Europe really is a magnificent continent. Most of the worlds greatest civilizations were born there. You all talk about which technology was started in what country, but the ideas go back farther than that. Americans (and most other nationalities around the world) use a modern version of an alphabet that was invented in Europe. Democracy (the cornerstone of the American government) was created in ancient Greece.

The engineering feats of these people were so vast, that it allowed them to create immense structures without the use of cement, and sail across thousands of miles of ocean long before Columbus' time. Every country there has hundreds of years worth of history that is still being discovered.

Americans don't have all that. Instead we started this country with what we knew at the time of its founding, and have grown and shaped it around the knowledge we've gained since then. This allowed us to progress and expand in a relatively short amount of time. We've learned from and built upon inventions that were conceptualized overseas. In the last hundred years we've constructed skyscrapers, produced vaccines and have helped decipher the human genetic code. We've produced some brilliant scientists, architects, engineers, and writers. The mention of gun control and the education system is an entirely different matter.

We're not the world police and we don't want to be, even if the media says we do. We dont care what our president did with his intern, even though the news broadcasted it as a "crisis". For all those individuals who say otherwise, come visit us sometime and you'll see that we really aren't that bad
    <Edited by Sparkie on 01-08-2001 at 09:16 AM>