User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eurpeans...

Always jealouse of the United States. Every thread I look at that invlolves the US and/or Europe, Europeans digard what the US ha accomplished. I.E. in the thread about the lunar landing, most people saying it was a fake are Europeans. Face it,

US better than Europe at:

1. Technology

2. Making Beverages (including red & white wine according to an international taste test.)

3. Making food

4. Inventing things (submarine, silicon computer chip, telephone, car, plane, cd/dvd/etc, need I say more?)

5. Making money (I'm pretty sure the top 5 richest people are ALL in the United States

6. Defending ourselves in war.

7. Need I say more?

Nuff said. I'm sure I'm going to get flamers and supporters . Let's see how t plays out.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All countries suck. Some suck less.

I'm an American and I completely hate my country. The government controls everything--what you can do, at what time, when, and how. They force religion discreetly on kids during school and teach them to all be the same. If anyone is different, they are a "problem" and must be dealt with accordingly.

I don't know if European schools are the same way, but I doubt it because their governments seem smaller and less involved in everyone's life.

Just my $1. Keep the change

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This IS going to start flame wars.

But I do agree with bummish - about everything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse me? I think you are talking about Europe qslack. In America you can have guns and in some European countries you can't. In England you can't have a gun, even for hunting. In the US we are allowed to have hand guns. There isn't any prayer in schools and don't even have holiday parties. They have fall, winter, and spring "festivals" so no one is not offened. America is one of the truly free countries left. Government controls? Please give 3 examples of this in the US? Also give me 3 examples of people being persecuted because of there religous feelings in the US? Say something intelligent please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our roads are better (at least in CA they are wider, smoother, and flow nicly regardless of what you see on TV) but I disagree about technology. Europe is much quicker at adapting and applying technology which means more than being higher tech in labs (aka in theory). Look at their use of cell phones, smart cards, etc. On the flip side, the US waits until the bugs are out and then gets new technology. Right now AT&T is implimenting the successor to the GSM standards nationwide (or so they say.) Also, since the nation is so big it is more expensive and more difficult to adapt quickly.

We arguably have the MOST stable political system. Look at this election. Bush should have lost and yet the Democrats are not rioting, calling for a new gov't, etc. 200+ years with very little political instability.

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicer rodes? Look at Naples, FL please. Oldest rode I've seen is about 5 years old in Naples, FL. Newest, less than 2 months. Technology, we invented cell phones, smart cards, etc. In the US, we use a normal phone instead of a cell phone. That is why cell phone companies here don't need as advanced technology. About the political system, the democrats not rioting, but trying to resolve it peacefully is much better then riots you see in Europe. We practically invented freedom. England was a monarchy as well as most other European countries before the US. Political instability? Name 3 occassions w/ political instability in the US, besides the Bush/Gore ordeal.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This'll start a long debate over what is better.

Just wait until all the people in Europe wake up (it's night over there now) and I'm sure we'll hear their side.

Until then...

I think that overall, the United States is the best country to live in. While other countries are good for certain things (such as scenery, overcrowding, and good pizza), the US is nice and well rounded in most things that I personally consider important. As Owen mentioned, the US has a very stable political system. Our little election 2000 debate is not a huge thing compared to the problems many countries face.

I'm glad I am in the US.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bummish,
    Look at your money. "In God We Trust". How is this not discriminatory against those people with other beliefs? I don't want to start a mini thread in this one covering religion, but I do want to say that the U.S, my country Canada, and many others are based on Christian beliefs. Remember, don't always believe what they teach you in History class.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
    <Edited by robp on 01-07-2001 at 07:48 PM>

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me for thinking that the CD was invented by Philips (A dutch company) and unless America has bought Holland then they are in Europe. Pioneer (A Japanese company) is the world leader in optical storage.

While in the UK, we have lots of talented people most of Star Wars episode one was made over hear. We are also pioneering many new technoligies such as extemely thin displays. We also broke the Enigma code

We also have Pace Technologies who make many set top boxes for cable tv etc, we also produced Acorn who came up with the Risc chip which Intel now owns rights to (ARM Chip) and has predicted sales that will outstrip x86 chips within a few years and these are the chips that apear in a lot of mobile devices.

We have Ferrari, Porsche, Lamboughni (SP?), Lotus cars - need I say more?

The Telephone was invented by a Scott - Alexander Graham bell. John Logie Baird invented the Television (Oh look, someone else from the UK).

I could go on all night, but I won't as it is far to late here now and I have to be up early in the morning.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent some time in Germany and in their schools and I must say that their learning system is way ahead of anything the U.S. has. Here in Texas we have a test called TAAS (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills). This test actually controls if you graduate or not. If you pass, you graduate, if not, you don't. This test takes place halfway through the year and teachers stop whatever lessons they are teaching to focus only on TAAS. The teachers go over and over the same facts so that the students will not forget them, while we should be learning the rest of the regular lesson, we are learning the answers to the test. My education is being cut short because someone in the capital wants to see how good a teacher can teach the answers. A total waste of my time, I think.

Another thing that gets me is that teachers in our public school system have to teach at the level of the stupidest student in the class. They are not allowed to teach the class as a whole, they must focus on helping the student that doesn't understand what is going on. This slows down learning and really makes a class boring.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know this could go on forever, especially because of the inconsistancies and arguments (especially between two Americans about whether America is better or not). Come on people...

Each society gives what it can. Europe is made up of well-defined countries with a long history of development. They are also the birthplaces of many of our ancestors. Or did everyone of you forget that most people migrated (and still do) to the United States.

Let's just say that the United States has contributed to Europe's Success and vice versa. Every place you could live has it problems. Well okay Bermuda probably has less problems than other places but they still have to worry about hurricanes. The point is we can either get along and enjoy a global economy or we can blow each other up.

Also on the original list..

1. Technological advances are most often done in preparation for war or directly thereafter.

2. We may be good at different types of beverage making but only because of hundreds of years of experience from our ancestors. (see above).

3. See # 2

4. Who created what is subject.
    • Leonardo Da Vinci invented a plane-like apparatus in the Rennaisance. The Wright brothers modified it and proved it could fly.
    • Crude submersible vehicles were used as far back as the Roman empire.
    • CD was created as a joint venture between Sony, Philips and Polygram. None of which are American companies.
    • DVD as we know it was created by Sony and Philips (imagine that).
    • Cars were around before Ford built his first one. American didn't invent cars or the internal combustion engine, we just refined the mass manufacture of them.

5. One of the top 5 lives in the Middle East and is a sheik and a oil producing nation.

6. Peace through Superior FirePower huh? Not really a good way to approach the future. Of the last 5 wars the U.S. has been in. All were fought on foreign soil so we were on the offensive and not the defensive. 2 were World Wars and required the help of our allies in Europe to win. 1 is in a kind of limbo and still going on after 50 years (Korea). 1 we lost (Vietnam) and the last war, the president called a retreat before the final objective was achieved and is still in limbo (Persian Gulf)

7. I think you could say more like how honored you are that our culture, beliefs and traditions are inspired by our European roots and how American is actually more like its European Brethen than different.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Hartmann
    I spent some time in Germany and in their schools and I must say that their learning system is way ahead of anything the U.S. has. Here in Texas we have a test called TAAS (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills). This test actually controls if you graduate or not. If you pass, you graduate, if not, you don't. This test takes place halfway through the year and teachers stop whatever lessons they are teaching to focus only on TAAS. The teachers go over and over the same facts so that the students will not forget them, while we should be learning the rest of the regular lesson, we are learning the answers to the test. My education is being cut short because someone in the capital wants to see how good a teacher can teach the answers. A total waste of my time, I think.
    Glad to hear that I am the only one who dislikes the TAAS test. That test is ruining Texas education if you ask me. A lot of teachers focus almost their entire curriculum on making their students pass. The principals use the TAAS as an evaluator to monitor the teacher's progress. So rather than learning about what we should be learning, we are being prepared for that TAAS test.

The questions on the TAAS are extremely easy, too! I don't mean to brag, but I have never scored less than a 95 on any section.

I do admit that the US education systems are lower than most others.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,
    We called a retreat during the Persian Gulf War? See I don't learn anything in school, we are too focused on TAAS. But I do believe most of us would be speaking German,Italian, and Japanese under their rule if not for our entry into WWII (and Hitler's dumb move to invade Russia). Britain was holding on by a thin thread and wasn't going to make it much longer. But this isn't a thread about which country saved the other country's butt.

Is one country better than the other? No, I think one country's faults make up for its plusses. 'nuff said.

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The U.S. is full of violence and gang war. Walking down a street in the "wrong" part of town might have you killed. Are you comfortable knowing anybody around you could be armed?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5. One of the top 5 lives in the Middle East and is a sheik and a oil producing nation.
    Might wanna double check that.

I often read the Forbes' list of the richest people in the world. And while this guy was stable at #1 for a number of years with around 12 billion. He has since been surpassed greatly by silicon giants.

He is currently #6 and is Prince of Saudi Arabia.

Full List
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would much rather live in Europe than the U.S.

I'm a big history buff and Europe has alot of history. Also European's aren't largely "puritanical hypocrits" (to borrow a phrase from "French Kiss")

My problem with Europeans stems basically from opinions expressed on this board. There are alot of misconceptions about Americans. Like being shot on any street corner. We all are gun toting cowboys, etc etc.

Also it seems alot of Europeans feel they need to have a superiority complex to Americans... because well we're Americans... all stupid brutes and whatnot.

And I'm sure alot of it is our fault. If you hear some of the music we send over, some of the movies, some of the TV.

But ya gotta remember, its only some of the music, some of the movies, some of the TV, plenty of Americans also think there are alot of stupid Americans. Maybe our stupid person society glorifies stupidity more than yours but it doesn't mean all American's are stupid.

And shootings too, our media really blows things up, these things do not happen that often as you'd be made to think.

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the perspective of the built environment, community planning, psychological effects of the built environment, etc. European cities are much better than American cities. Even much of the architecture in America decreases the psychological well-being of the people, while the same in Europe is mostly better, aside from some of the newer stuff. There may be huge skyscrapers, etc. here that are not elsewhere, but i don't think that's really a good thing.
    I'd much rather live in Europe than America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummish, my guess is that you've never even been to Europe. Frankly, you are just confirming the stereotype of us Americans being stuck-on-ourself.

To all of my non-US friends--I apologize for this thread.

I spent four months in Europe. It rocks!!!! My wife lived in Austria for two years and Switzerland for two years. She loved it. I love living the U.S., but not because I think it is better than Europe. It's just what I'm used to.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Might wanna double check that.

I often read the Forbes' list of the richest people in the world. And while this guy was stable at #1 for a number of years with around 12 billion. He has since been surpassed greatly by silicon giants.

He is currently #6 and is Prince of Saudi Arabia.

Full List
    This might change since the price of oil is going up, and the NASDAQ is going in the toilet.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mtgm
    The U.S. is full of violence and gang war. Walking down a street in the &quot;wrong&quot; part of town might have you killed. Are you comfortable knowing anybody around you could be armed?
    Full is a bit of an exaggeration. I've never witnessed a gang war or violence in the streets, and I've lived here 35 years next month.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mtgm
    The U.S. is full of violence and gang war. Walking down a street in the &quot;wrong&quot; part of town might have you killed. Are you comfortable knowing anybody around you could be armed?
    My father is a Gang Enforcement Officer here in California. Until recently he worked in Los Angeles in some of the same neighborhoods portrayed in movies. What you see on the screen and read in the newspapers is totally different from what happens on the street. I will not deny that there is occasional violence but I have never been afraid to walk down a single street or go to any neighborhood in Southern California.

Gun ownership and use is way overblown in the media, especially in foreign countries. Maybe if people came to visit America before judging then they would understand better.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to point out that most major (serious) crimes are committed by unlicensed (machine?) guns. While I do think the gun laws in the US are stupid, big guns are fairly easy to get anywhere if one has the necessary connections.

mtgm > You've watched too many movies. Hollywood is not the real world. It's much more interesting to show that stuff then what's real. The US as a whole is a fairly safe place to live.

james > I loved Europe when I visited too last week. I wouldn't mind living there, but it was fascinating to visit even briefly. BTW, when I was my mom was pickpocked twice and we were stalked in the subway in Rome - a group of men followed us on and off trains for 20 minutes. Whoever says Europe (Italy in this case) is free of crime is joking. My mom had never been so scared before. This kind of thing happens everywhere.

From reading this it seems _almost_ everyone like where they live.

Owen

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all the Americans should stop their 'we save the world' attitude. At the end of the day all developed countries are pretty good to live in. Its not like Australia, France, Holland, Belgium, USA, UK, Germany put clean water b4 nuclear weapons like truly muck countries like India, Russia or wherever. We are all lucky to be in the 5% of the world population that actually has decent opportunities.

Where does all the good software come from? Remember I said good software!

Where are all the good cars from? Italy, Germany, Japan? Yanks, aussies and poms couldn't make a good car if it got shoved in their face.

Where is the world biggest annual sporting event? The tour de France makes the super bowl look like a school football match.

Where are alot of school shootings?

Who has puppets for presidents?

This is definitely something nobody will agree on. Duh!

I personally wanna go to both areas of the world, but for totally different reasons.
    Steve
    Website design for small businesses.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been to either places, and i think Australia rocks

we have it all here guys

Owen your right, most people think where they live is the better country. pretty pointless thread...interesting at times tho

Steve
    Website design for small businesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh please......... Is there any reason why we should be jalous? Have you ever been to Europe? Europe is very diverse. You can drive 1 hour and come in a region with a totally different language and mentality. I've never been to the USA, so I won't speak about how it is in USA. But I do have seen many many reportages from different channels about the US.

Roads? I've been to all surrounding countries of Belgium (heck there are 5 and all on a 1 hour drive) and of all of them Germany had the best streets. Now, in Europe there are much more older cities (oh yeah we have a culture and hostory which goes more than 2000 years back!!) and therefore the streets within the cities won't be that large. But outside the cities we work with 'highways' which have up to 6 strokes on each side where a car/truck can drive. The thing is, for example in belgium, Holland (the part of the Netherlands around Amsterdam) and the Ruhr area in Germany are almost 'one big city'. You cannot drive in your car longer than 5 minutes without seeing a house.

Guns? I live in the the most unsafe city of Flanders (Dutch part of Belgium) and I haven't been beaten up, and they never stole of me. I also have never seen any gun action. For each gun you need a license. Even for knives you need licenses. There are no areas like the 'Bronx' here, where people are put together, without comfort or whatever.

I invite all Americans to get the plane and visit Europe for some time. I will visit the US some time, because it interests me to see it.

But really, this 'we're better than the rest' additude many (!= all) people have (looks at the French, the Americans and to the English people if they are outside their country) is so wrong. We're all basically the same. We have the same ancestors. Our nationality, our colour of skin, our income, doesn't make us better.

It's also quite 'shocking' how the countries who claim to be so much better are actually on most black lists involving the enviroment. IE. the general American citizen uses up twice as much the resources as the general European one.

I wonder why this thread hasn't been closed yet. All anti-American threads get closed immidiately. Oh well, justice can be so good