User Tag List

Thread: phpBB2 Forum

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

phpBB2 Forum

Right, recently I have been spending time adding MODs to my phpBB2 forum. I have installed loads and loads in the past, however this is the first time I have really MODed my board.

On my local server all is fine, happy, singing and dancing. I have around 25 MODs which I have done over the past day or so.

Now I want to upload it and install it. I have tried a number of different ways but I just can't get it working.

I have installed a standard phpBB forum and then over written the files, but it then can not connect to the database before I even get onto running the sql commands.

Then I tried putting a normall install folder in with the MODed files but that wouldnt work either.

How can I go about installing this board? What should I do first?

Thank you,
    Daniel Oliver.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

It is possible that you may have installed a hack that was incompatible with your phpBB version, or the hack isn't function, but it could also be that it was not installed correctly.

The recommended way to add hacks to a phpBB is 1 at a time. That way, if you get an error, you know it was caused when you added the last hack and you can recheck to make sure that you did it correctly.

I know it sounds frustrating, but it might be a good idea to start over 1 by 1. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielOliver
    ...but it then can not connect to the database before I even get onto running the sql commands.
    That's a big clue to what the problem may be.

Your config file will need to be edited after uploading to a live server - check the database name and user details. eg. on my local testing box my username is root however, on a live server it's domain_username.
    Lats...

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I thought it would be something to do with that, I have decided to not bother with any more MODs untill the new phpBB 2.2 is out, then I shall re-start it all and add it one at a time to my local then the remote server.

Be a lot easier to keep track of what is happening with the database.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    phpBB 2.2 is still a fair way off. They haven't even finished writing the features so after the bug checking and optimisation, I'd give them a few more months at least.