SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this possible?

Can someone please help with this. I have designed a page with dreamweaver rollover menu buttons. I don't want to use frames, just use the cached graphics for the menu on all the site pages. My question - is it possible to have it so that the reloaded menu has the correct "down" state already selected for the new page? I hope that makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the code in dreamweaver's rollovers, but I simply put all the rollover script in an external file and call it from each page that way it is cached after the first page loads.

I think that is what you mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the404.com
    I'm not sure about the code in dreamweaver's rollovers, but I simply put all the rollover script in an external file and call it from each page that way it is cached after the first page loads.

I think that is what you mean.
    No that's not what I meant. The menu and code on my start page is cached anyway by the browser and appears in all new pages. The problem is that I want the "down" state to be carried over to the new page so that the user knows where they are. Do you know what I mean? The way it is just now, the menu is simply reloaded and all buttons are returned to the default "up" state. So I'm looking for the (javascript) code that makes this possible. Maybe I should have posted this under the javascript forum.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

What most people do is just have the down image already selected on each page. You just set up a new class or a new rollover script for a single image on each page. That image will be the selected image and is juxtaposed on each relevant page.

For example on page 2, the image referring to page2 will be the down image. On page 3, the image for page 3 will be the down image etc.

It's not really much extra work as you just swap the code around on each page.

Paul

SitePoint Zealot CatsEyeDesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I do it, is by creating navigation include files, and use the same include file on each page thatneeds the navigation.

Within the include file, I put a few extra lines of code for each "button" that checks to see what the current file is, and displays the "active" image when the include file figures out what page it's been included into.

That way, I still get the functionality, and easy updates offered by include files, and you don't have a clickable link on the homepage that goes to the homepage... etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B
    Hi,

What most people do is just have the down image already selected on each page. You just set up a new class or a new rollover script for a single image on each page. That image will be the selected image and is juxtaposed on each relevant page.

For example on page 2, the image referring to page2 will be the down image. On page 3, the image for page 3 will be the down image etc.

It's not really much extra work as you just swap the code around on each page.

Paul
    Thank you very much Paul. Man what an easy solution! I feel rather dumb now, but thanks again.