SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Pal DVD

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of days ago, a good friend of my mom's came over with a DVD disc her husband had bought online. When it arrived, she immediately noticed it was not from the US (it costs 9.99). It would not play in her DVD player. She did some research, and found out that the disc was encoded in PAL.

She asked me what I could do to fix it, and I said that I would look into it. I did some research, and found that PAL is a different way of encoding a DVD disc (an alternative to NTSC).

I can't play the disc in my DVD drive, it just comes up with a few folders when I open the disc.

Is it possible for me to play it on my computer's DVD player? Or even better - would it be possible for her to play it on her (non-computer) DVD player at her house?

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, on the back of the case, I see the following:

Video Aspect Ratio: Feature - 4:3
    Main Soundtrack: English Mono
    Subtitles: None
    Disc Format: Single Sided, Singe Layer - DVD 5
    Black & White PAL

I don't know if that would help or not, but I posted just in case.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a way
    It's the same on VHS videos, over here in England we use PAL, and in America you use NTSC. The two aren't compatible, and I accidentally bought an NTSC VHS video once - didn't manage to find a way of playing it.

All you can do is get an English DVD player, which would be compatible with PAL disks.
    Also, the problem may be to do with different DVD Regions, ie your drive can only play disks from one region. There are patches available to change that but the NTSC/PAL might still be a problem.
    <Edited by James on 01-07-2001 at 05:47 AM>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen some DVD players that are compatible with both NTSC and PAL formatted discs, but my understanding is that her DVD player isn't one of those.

I heard that you can easily duplicate a PAL VHS tape with a PAL VCR and an NTSC VCR. Seems simple enough.

So would my computer be able to play this DVD?

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. You people really should do a search before answering :/

Play with your computer? It's doesn't mean a thing whether your DVD disc is NTSC/PAL assuming you play it with your computer. It's region check which matters usually.

Since you probably have DVD-ROM drive capable of playing region 1 DVD's (USA) and because European DVD's are region 2 - there's the problem.

Fortunately this can be bypassed rather easily, usually just by loading another program before starting dvd player. For more reference about region free solutions and PC DVD equipment/software in general, take a look to:

http://www.7thzone.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?id_page=pcdvd

And about the normal DVD player: it should work if it can play all the regions or has a region code modification installed in it. Basically I suggest to look the manufacturer and model and learn whether it can play all DVD's or if it needs to have region modification to play them (only for some players).

Though the picture actually could look rather awkward due to different encoding (NTSC/PAL), but it doesn't matter when viewed on a computer, only when viewed with television, which doesn't support both encodings (fortunately I've got a TV, which supports both )
    <Edited by hmahonen on 01-07-2001 at 05:48 AM>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you had a DVD player capable of PAL encoding, which are available for a premium here in the U.S. (> $500), you most likely would not be able to play it. Besides the player you would also need to purchase a TV capable of PAL encoding, again available at a premium.

We are region 1 one and can only play region 1 encoded DVD. Europe is a different region (2) and can only play discs created for their regions. This is an attempt to prevent piracy.

With DVD's it is best to stick to American Sources. She should see if she can return it and get a charge back or chalk it up to a learning experience.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: If you have computer capable of playing DVD's from all regions and you have a decoder card, depending on software it is fairly easy to change the card to output NTSC/PAL/PAL 60Hz.

At least this is the case with Creative DXR3, which is same as Hollywood RealMagic+ etc. (just the name changed).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly everyone I know in the UK (Region 2) has 80%+ of their collection made up of American (Region 1) DVDs, myself included. I play mine on a PC but a lot of my friends play them through a normal DVD player (Pioneer mostly).

One solution (if possible) would be to play through a PC and use the output of a decoding card to a TV (It should be converted to NTSC then).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.